Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Ruth: Oct. 14, 1934; Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a very nice weekend. Mine was short but busy. Had a family get together on Saturday. I forgot my camera, so no pictures from me. On Sunday the husband and I went for a hike. About 5.1 miles. I know it was shorter then usual but with his ankle not being in the best shape the length was just right.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Ruth:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                    Chicago Illinois
                      October 14, 1934
Dear Howard:
   I am not in a very good
writing mood, but I must
not delay answering your
letters any longer.
We are having some beautiful
weather. It is just glorious.
I went to the Fair last
Sunday and saw a few  of
the Village shows. Did you
see the Black Forest Show?
It was excellent. Did you
see Little Egypt? She was
rare and daring.

I received a letter from
Mrs. Fick and she said you
had called on them. They
think you are quite all right.
Is Slim working now?
What made him quit his
job.
I cannot think of anything
else to write so I had better
sign off for the time
being.
            Ruth

It looks like she went to the Worlds Fair.  I don't think I have anything from the Worlds Fair. But on line I did find a couple of post cards from there. Here is one.
Image result for Black forest show 1934

As Little Egypt, she was a Belly dancer.  I did find a number of Little Egypt's but I'm not sure which one appeared in the Worlds Fair 1934. I imagine she drew a crowd back then.

I guess Ruth was just not in a very good mood that day.

Here is a story from the newspaper "Labor"  Tuesday September 4, 1934:


Now that's what happens when you get matching luggage.

Now here is a poem from a newspaper called,"Svenska Amerikanaren" The Swedish American Newspaper. From September 11, 1924:

I will translate using Google translate:

You asked for a song

You asked for a song, dear
on a cheerful and happy melody.
How would you like this?
My song cannot be fun.

The instrument, my sick heart,
have no cords anymore,
and the string, as the recitals of narrow,
only twisted gnash ger.

Once there was a jubilee in the game,
for you sang where melody.
Then you went to the wrong place
in the harmony of strings.
                                      N.K.

It's a nice little poem. What do you think? I do wonder who N.K. is though.

I might scan a small story from time to time and try to translate it. It will take some time to do it though.

Here is a random picture:

No idea where or when this was taken. It doesn't look familiar to me.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very good week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment