Friday, July 6, 2018

Carol Olsen: Sept. 11, 1934; Milwaukee, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good 4th of July. Mine was good. nothing bad happened. I didn't watch any fireworks because I still had to go to work on Thursday. Not as early as Monday. I did listen to the booms from my bed though. But I also now have to work on Saturday. The weather is suppose to kind of nice this weekend. Maybe we will be able to get a hike in on Sunday. Time will tell.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Carol:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                            Milwaukee Wis.
                              Sept -11-34
Howdy Howard:
          I received your letter this
morning; so I thought I would
answer rite away. Talk about being
prompt- That's me.
No I haven't been to the fair
and do not think I will get there
Again no we did not have our
beach party. The weather has
been very miserable.
I started to keep a diary
last week. It is a lot of fun.
Say Howard if I ever had
my picture taken it would
break the camera. How about
you sending me a picture of
yourself?
Last Wednesday I turned my
ankle. Talk about pain. That
was it. I couldn't walk for a
day. I went nuts that day sitting
around and doing nothing.

This morning it rained for awhile
and then the sun would come
out.
I am invited to an Italian
birthday party the 22 of this month
I do not know if I am going or not
  Next week I am going to start
nite school. I do not know what
I am going to take up yet.
  Wasn't that a evitable fine
on the bout? That makes a person
think twice before they go on a
bout.
Well have you been going any
place or doing anything exciting? I
have been going out quite a good
deal I am getting so tired of going
out that it isn't anything funny.
Sorry I haven't any decent stationary
to answer your letter with, but
I haven't been down to the "Hotel"
for a long time. But I still have
an envelope left as you see.

                 2
There is only one reason that
I do not like to write letters
and that is cause I am such
a rotten writer. So you can
read what you can an and
emagine imagine the rest.
I made some keen fudge
yesterday as a friend of mine.
She has 4 children so you can
imagine how long it lasted.
I am visiting my girl friend
and believe her lobbenesry and the
baby yellcry makes it nulker hand
to conceulate or a business
letter oh yeah.
You should see me. I am
sellery here chewing my cud
like a ordinary cow!
My brain refuses to function.
so will have to close. Bye
Answer soon   As ever
                        Carol
over

My address is
Miss Carol Olsen
 1900 East Beverly Rd
   Milwaukee
          Wis.

This was another challenging letter. Between the write and her spelling, this letter was very challenging. I know there are some words that are wrong but I wasn't sure what she meant to say. Or maybe some of the words are Swedish. Maybe you can do a better job then I did figuring them out.
I wonder if she ever sent a picture and did Grandpa send her one.
It sounds like she was a good cook.
I wonder how often people used stationary from hotels without staying there?
I think she went to an Italian birthday party. I wonder if they did anything special at an Italian party?

Here is a story from "The Bee"; Thursday, February 1, 1940:

This is a very interesting story. Could it be something that would apply to what's going on today. Remember this was WWII going on in Europe.

Here is a story from "Fate" November 1950:

 Are there still apes on Gibraltar? I'll have to look it up.
I looked it up, yes they are still there. About 300 today. Here is a picture of one:

Image result for apes of gibraltar


Finally, here is a random picture:


It looks like they have hay down that might be ready to be raked. Grandma is the one walking forward. This might be from 1968 but developed in 1969.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope everyone has a very good weekend.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment