Friday, February 21, 2014

Kathryn Clary: Nov. 19, 1919 plus a scrapbook picture and a random logging picture

Dear Friends,
How are you? Me? Buried in the snow. Is it ever going to stop?
Well, here is the next letter from Kathryn.
Because of the wrinkles if you can't read it here is what is says:

Dear Howard:
I suppose you think I am a fine one for not writing sooner but as usual
I am very busy doning nothing. Say listen please be careful what you write in my letters
you see I let my mother read all them. You asked when Theresa's and my birthdays are.
Well mine is ine August and theresa's is in March oh thats right you wanted the date eh?
I am August 6th and Theresa's is the 15th of March. Well how are you getting along with
the cows? I hope you have not been kicked by any lately, have you? We go to the Victoria every Sunday and they have peachy shows there, you know they have regular plays. Last week
we saw "Bought and Paid For", and this week we saw "The Unkissed Bride" and now we are going
to see "The Woman He Married", I hope thats as good as the other ones. Thank you very much
for the pictures they certainly are good, of you especially. What is Santa Clause going to
bring you for Xmas. I hope he is real good to you. Gee I want a knew coat, dress, gloves,
and a million other different things. One thing I want real badly is a Banjo Uke, do you
like them? Iacan play them dandy. How is Tom, your mother, father, and Elmer?? I think
that Theresa must be peeved at me I called her last and she never comes over to my house
any more. I am at work now and it is almost time to go home so I tho't I would take time
to write to you. We don't go to nite school much any more, all we do is go to the shows.
How about yourself? I suppose you enjoy milking the cows for a pasttime eh? I don't see
how you live out there it is so lonesome. Well I guess I will close now as I want to get
home early. Don't forget what I told you about Nice letters because my mother does not
liki the kind you sent me before.

Your friend,
K. Shirley Clary.
3818 N. Ashland Ave.

I included all the misspelling, I hope you don't mind.
I wanted to know about the plays she saw but I could not find them. The only one I did find was "The Unkissed Bride" but it was a film from 1966. So I don't think it was the same one. But it could have been based on the same thing but with a different kind of twist to it.

I also checked out a Banjo Uke. Here is a picture of it.

Well I picked a picture that looked old and would fit the theme of this letter.
I wouldn't mind finding one and learning how to play it if I could.
This letter looks like it's the start of a falling out between Kathryn and Theresa. So stay tuned and find out more details in letters to come.


I wasn't going to post a picture from the scrap book but with all that snow out there I just had to.

Huge Snowslide Halts all Travel in Utah
A snowslide nearly 50 feet deep and 2000 feet wide blocked Provo canyon near Provo, Utah.
it covered a highway, railroad tracks and a river. The slide resulted when rains loosened snow
on the steep slopes of the Wasatch mountains. The river cut a new channel for itself, but travel
through the canyon was bottled.

I'm also including an old picture postcard of some local loggers. Taken about 1916.

I'm not sure right now who Joe Johnson was. I'm sure he was some relation, maybe.

Well that's about it for now.
I'll write soon.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment