Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Kathryn Clary; Oct. 23, 1919, Chicago

Dear Friends,
How are you? Me, still suffering from cabin fever. I know I made a mistake last time when I didn't do the research on a couple of things so I'll do it now.
One thing was about the place they worked at P.F. Collier &Sons. I found out it was established in 1875. It was a publisher of good books. It ceased  publication Jan. 4 1957 but, it was revived Feb. 2012. So if your interested in what they have to offer now you can now check it out.
The second thing was the word Nasimova. I found out it was the name of a Russian born actress named Alla Nasimova.
 
1879-1945
She was a silent film star. She also performed on stage. Kathryn mentioned The Brat. I was not sure what this was because of the way she mentioned it. But it was a film that Alla Nasimova stared in.
I think that was about it. So I will now move on to the next letter. Well it's kind of two in one. Confused? Well here they are, you decide.
This is the first one that was in the envelope. Here is what is says, in case it's hard to read.

Dear Friend:
Why don't you answer my Last Letter?
I wrote to you and asked you for some more
Pictures, if you will please send me about
six more of each of us and especially of the
ones of Theresa and I in the hay and on the
pump, will you? I hope your mother and all the rest are
well, and of course yourself. Excuse the mistakes as
I am suppose to be working now and have not much time.
Don't forget to send the pictures will you??
I guess I will close now as it is time
to go home almost.
Your friend,
K. Shirley Clary.
P.S. Will write a longer one soon.
 Well that's the first one. She still wants more pictures. Which I have already shared with you the ones she is talking about.

Now on to the next letter:



As you can see it is a longer one that is hand written. Here is what it says.

Dear Friend,
I know you think I'm a 
peach for not writing sooner but
I'm so busy going to nite school
and working that I don't get two
minutes to myself. Well to 
begin with 'how are you? I'm
fine. The pictures you sent me
were dandy. You can send some
more of those in the hay and
Theresa & I on the pump. Thanks
ever so much for the gum
it certainly tasted peachy only
it wasn't peachy it was
California fruit: ha! ha!
What are the latest shows
out there? The Miracle Man
is one of the latest out here.
We go to a dance at school

every Thursday nite. Do you
go to many? No I'm not
feeling for Elmer in the 
least so you can put
that in your pipe and
smoke it. My friend and 
Theresa & myself are going 
to see a play that's just
out ( you know vaudeville)
the name of it is Scandal 
it's a Comedy. Well don't for-
get to ans. & send the pictures.

Your friend
K. Shirley Clary.


Well that's it. I have looked up The Miracle Man. It was silent film which is about a group of con men who find a way to con people out of money by convincing people that one of them can heal people. It sounds like it could be very interesting. There is also a love story included.

The play Scandal. I tried to find out something about it but I wasn't able to narrow it down to one thing. Maybe you can figure out which one she could have seen.


Well sense we are still having snow problems, here another picture for the scrap book.
Washington county- where human shovelers have to precede the snow plow so it won't get stuck. highway 41 was practically cleared when this picture was taken a mile south of Richfield Wednesday afternoon but Thursday it was snowing again.

Boy does this sound familiar. We are suppose to get more snow this coming Thursday. 
Here's one more picture.
 Despite some more clement weather, these drifts near Grafton still seem pretty high, especially when compared to the height of the trio of girls shown in the picture. Left to right Helen Rushing, Jean Hackett and Margaret Bershta. G.A. Marquardt of Milwaukee took the picture.

Well that's all I have to offer for now.
I how to write soon.
Your Friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment