Friday, February 7, 2014

Theresa Lambert: Chicago, Sept. 25, 1919 Plus other pictures


Dear Friends,
How are you? I'm starting to get a bad case of cabin fever. This winter is starting go on a little longer then most people around here can take. I'm tired of all the below zero temps everyday. Hopefully this next week it will be above zero and stay there.
Any way enough whining, here is the next letter from Theresa.


In case it's hard to read here is what it says.

Dear Friend,
I do not know wither I wrote to you since
I have been in Chic. or not. I have been 
having a fine time and wish you the same.
How is your sick cow. Our chickens are getting 
along nicely. I am not going to go tonight to school 
any more. I am going to start to work. As soon as
you have developed those pictures please
send them to me.
Well this is all I will write today.
Your Friend
Theresa

Well it looks like at that time Theresa was still worried about one of Grandpa's cows. I wonder what made her decide not to go to school anymore and to start work instead?
Here is another picture I think is of Theresa and her siblings.


I think I have at least two of this one picture.

Looking through the scrap book I found a picture that caught my eye and decided to share it with you.
This is what it says:
With an accompanying roar that aroused the neighborhood,
the steel walls of a 170-foot water tank at S. Seventieth st.
and W. Greenfield av. "buckled in" early Sunday as the tank was
being drained. The tank, of 100,000-gallon capacity, is owned by
the Allis Chalmers Co. Although it is stream heated, the recent
cold had frozen the water at the top, necessitating draining.
William Watson, general works manager, said that a vacuum
created by the emptying, caused the buckling. Workmen are
shown beginning repairs.

I thought that with people in some towns being told to keep their water running because of the cold this picture would prove it has happened in a different way before.

Here is also another of the unknown pictures I have. This one I think just might be from the 1890's, maybe, from Sweden.

Once again if anyone knows anyone from any of the pictures I post do not be afraid to let me know.

Well that's all for today.
Till next time.
Your Friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment