Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Theresa Lambert, Oct 6, 1919 Chicago plus more Winter pictures

Dear Friends,
How are you doing in this winter to remember? Me? Bad case of cabin fever.
Any way here is the next letter from Theresa. It's a longer one then the last few, but it has lots of information.



In case it's hard to read here is what it says:

Dear Howard:
I am answering your letter wich 
I received several days ago. Just as usual,
Chicago is still as exciting as ever. It is pretty 
cold out here, how is the weather out there?
Will you please make or send me a few
of those pictures we had taken on the small
pile of hay that time. You know where 
Kathryn, my two sisters, my brother and 
myself are laying on a hay pile? Well
about three will be enough. I lost all of 
those that I had. I have been going to dances
every Thursday night and am having a swell
time but I wish I was in Hayward. The city
is all right but nothing like a small town
for me. How about it? Did I ever tell you about 
the man who tortured a little girl and then

buried her half alive in her own basement in
a coal pile. They looked for the girl four 
days and he knew it all the time. I don't
see how he could stand it. Well he is going 
to hang at sunrise to-morrow. I imagine it is
awful. Another murder was committed Sunday
morning in the loop. A man killed two men
with an iron bar. The police have not found
him yet but I guess they will. Because two 
or three men saw him before he killed the 
men. Nobody knows why he killed those
men or anything. Say listen can you
make those pictures of me any brighter? But
I suppose it is to much trouble. I am
working in this office and so is Kathryn. We
are doing office work. We have a lot of 
fun with one man. He is Irish and full of
develment. By the way we are going to 
have a halloween party in one girls basement &
we are going to decorate it all up. Write soon
and tell me about your Halloween party.
Well so long for this 
time.
T. Billy Lambert 


Here is the picture they both seam to like. Maybe it's because they are all smiling.
She had a lot of information in this one. I wonder if the person she mentioned killing the young girl is the same one she mentioned in the other letter about the race riots? If it is, that was swift punishment. A whole lot faster then they do now a days. 
Plus she has her first job working in an office. I wonder if this place is still in business? She sounds like she is really enjoying herself. I wonder how her Halloween party went? I also wonder what kind of party Grandpa went to that year?

Well with winter being so hard on so many I've found a couple of pictures that could almost have happened today.
The one on the left says:
Ranger Edward Jones is shown rescuing a deer stuck in the snow at Bear mountain park, New York.
The one on the right says;
The deer were so cold they welcomed companionship one day  recently when Dr. William J. Hanley formerly of Milwaukee and captain at a CCC camp at Gwinn. Mich., approached this pair.
 
 If this garage at 1947 N Thirty- fourth st. could just have held out a little longer some of the snow might have run off in the form of water. The roof gave up, or rather gave in at 2:50 p.m. Sunday. It belongs to Edward Wolke.
Snow on the roof of this garage at 1945 N. Twenty-eight st. owned by Walter Voelz, caused the roof to collapse. Three cars were inside.

I put these pictures put there because my husband said that he saw three sheds that have collapsed roofs from too much snow between our place and town. Now we don't live that far from town so that is a lot of damage in a short distance. 

Well that's all I have time for now so I will close.
Till next time.
Your Friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment