Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Edna; Aug. 6, 1925 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
  I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was shorter then I would have liked. I did have to work 6 hour Sat. Less time to get the usual things done that I get done on the weekends.
here is the next letter from Edna. She must have went by Eddie from time to time because that's the way this one is signed.




It's kind of hard to read in places so as always here is what it says:

                   Tuesday Aft.
Dear Howard:-
 Am at work but have noth-
ing to do, so decided to write.
I should have written before,
but Linnea is going home either
Sat. or Sunday, so I thought
it best to take her around
now a little before she
goes.
  Sunday uncle Walter took
Linnea & I out to Gladys.
He drove. Was quite a drive.
Then we took Gladys along
and drove out to Lake Dorest
to see Julia. So we were
roaming a little. enjoyed
it very much. Linnea
stayed out there with
Gladys. She is coming
home tomorrow night.
So I have to go & get her
at the station.

  Last night stella came
over and wanted me to go
to the beach. So i made up
my mind in a hurry. They
have water swing & water
mary-go-round that run
by electricity. You pay a
dime for each ride for
about 10 min. But they let
Stella & I ride all night for
a dime. Sure was swell.
But my arm got tired hang-
ing on. Today I can hardly
write. I'm going on my pass
now, will write more when
I come back.
  Well here I am again. Just
got through eating a bag of
peanuts. Ha! Ha! It's almost
quitting time now. So guess
I'll quit & write 'finis'
when I get home. Bye Bye.
 Hello: Here I am again.
I've been out to a show

but I had seen it before
so left early, I was scared
stiff. You know I went
alone and over on Broadway
I met a man he turned
his face right up towards
mine & said "hello" Of
course I paid no heed to
him. But when I turned
down Dakin Street he
follows me. and stopped
at the corner to see
which way I went
so I crossed the street
so I didn't need to pass
him. That's never happened
before. If there had been
a cop on that corner I
would have reported to
him. But there was
none there. Don't tell Ma
or she will worry.
  Tomorrow night I go
to meet Linnea. I sure
miss her & to think I
will be alone after this

week. It just drives me mad.
 Well, Howard, please
write again & again because
I like to get your letters. They
are so interesting. Wish I
could make mine so.
  guess I better quit now
Answer real soon & tell
me all the news.
        Sincerely
           Eddie
PS
Excuse pencil & stationery
just some I picked up
down at work.


Lets see what did I learn. Edna must be a relative because she calls Walter her uncle.
Her sister Linnea was suppose to be going home.
She got to ride a merry-go-round  all night for a dime.
As for her walk home by herself, it sounded like she was able to stay on guard and made it home safe and sound.
It took her a few days to get this one written. Lots of life interruptions.
Grandpa must have been some writer of letters. I wonder if I'll ever see any he wrote.

Here are some random pictures for you to look at.
She mentioned a Julia. I wonder if this little girl could be the some person?

These two pictures were printed together. They might have been test prints. Not sure who the kids are.



This picture was taken during a class trip of uncle Kenny's. I think it was his senior trip to maybe Washington D.C..  Must have been a very interesting time.

Well that's all I have for you today.
So I hope you drop by again real soon.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment