Friday, March 6, 2015

Anna Rainila: Aug. 6, 1925 Eagle River, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope this letter fines everyone in good spirits. Me, not to bad but, I do have to work again on Saturday. I just want to know who is eating all that cheese?
Enough whining here is the next letter from Anna.




This one is a little harder to read so I'll do my best to copy what is written, wish me luck.


                        Aug. 6, 1925
Dear Friend Howard:
    I have received your
affectionate letter some
time ago but as usual
must look for an excuse
for not being prompt.
I have not been in very
good health lately. One day
we were rather busy &
we're sweating like thunder
altho otherwise it was
rather cold I mean the
weather we all work
evening & we stayed in
quite a while & i caught
a cold & got terrible cramps
in my arches& ever sense
my feet cramp just
terrible. I had fever 102 &
101 for a long time & was
laid up a few days.

but now I feel better again
I am bustling around. As
they call me happy Anna
(haha) Where ever I go
they all give me so many
nick names I just have
to laugh. haha. I work
on 6 tables & 24 people
at present so it keeps
a girl on a hop when
all come in at once
but thats what we're
here for. We we're talking
tonite that in a month
or so we will all be
leaving again. I hate
to think of it. So do the
rest. We haven't had hardly
any rain this summer but
we sure have had enough
today it poured like from
a sieve this evening & still
you can hear rat tat tat tat.
on the roof. has the show
"Silent Watcher been

there yet. We went to
see it last Sunday
nite & sure was good
I have changed a lot too I
don't care anything about
dances or running around
I'll be a genuine old maid
when I come home unless
they think I'm a flapper
(haha) They can suit
themselves so what they
call me. Hey wat
(haha) guess I'll hustle
& sew collars & cuff on
my uniforms & clean
my room up & it
9.30 as it is. So that
shows no time for
fooling. (haha)
   Mr. Ulrich is Mr. Krotan
uncle & Mr. Krohn is manager

now. but Mr. Ulrich used
to be so this is old stationary
Bobs sister is married
to Mr. Krohn. Understand?
             So long
                      from Anna
P.S. I have made about
$67.00 in tips (haha)
But it seems to go too.

I did the best I could to copy it down but some words were a little hard to figure out, sorry.

She mentioned a movie she saw Silent Watcher, I found a picture and a little info on it.
Image result for Silent watcher 1925
The story is about a lawyer who is running for congress and decides to end his relationship with a show girl who then commits suicide. His secretary then claims he was in a relationship with the girl thus ruining his new marriage. He is later cleared of guilt over the show girl but because he lost his true love he then decides to kill himself. He cleans the house then his wife comes back just in time to save him for going through with the deed. Plus he learns that the lawyer is elected to congress.
Sounds like a tale that could be told today.

The Hemlock Lodge was like the one portrayed in Dirty Dancing. A summer get away for some people.

I wonder what ever happened to Anna. Did she get married or was she an old maid till the end?

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

    
No clue where this picture was taken. It could have been on a camping trip taken by maybe Uncle Kenny.

I think this one might be from Copper Falls. The one closest might be Grandpa. It's hard to tell.

No idea who this is sitting in the snow. Is it one of us grand kids or one of Grandpa and Grandma's?

Well that's all I have for you today.
So have a good weekend and enjoy the warming temps.
Till Tuesday.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment