Friday, March 13, 2015

Edna and Gladys: Sept. 20, 1925 Chicago, Ill

Dear Friends,
I hope you are enjoying the nice temps around here, that is if you are from the same place I am. If not I hope the weather is just right for wherever you are.
Here is the next letter. most of it was written by Edna aka Eddie and the last bit was written by Gladys.




As always here is what it says.

                      Chicago, Ill.
                      Sept. 20, 1925
Dear Friend,
   Well here comes a long
delayed letter. I've been so
busy of late. Have had no
time even to write home.
I'm home every evening
almost. But still there
are a hundred and one
things to be done. So
please excuse me for
waiting so long.
  I'm at Techny  Ill. now
came out last night
right from work. I went
to the new Union Station

First time I've been there.
It sure is magnificent.
"Hur mor du i dag?" Ha!Ha!
How's that for an old swede?
Can't speak it you know
so it is about time I'm
learning as I might go
to the old country some
day. Ha!
 Well how's everybody?
Hope fine. Didn't have
my operation yet. Can't
have it yet for awhile.
  Friday night &
went to a dance given

at a club house. All
the girls wore neckties
& boys aprons. Sure had
some time. Everybody was
dancing the "Charleston" or
"Flea-hop". I don't like
either. They look too
much like chickens.
  Well guess there is
no news so I might
as well quit. You'll
he so sick of this
scribbling you'll cease
to recognize me letters
from now on. eh?

   Please answer if you
care to. Don't know any jokes.
Do you?
    Will hang up now.
         Sincerely,
            Eddie
Hello there how are you?
I have been away out here
for such a long time that
I almost forget everything &
everybody whom I used to
know. How are your folks
I hope your mother is feeling
better greet her from me.
            Gladys

I like the way Gladys added her own brief note. From time to time this will happen with them and other letter writers.
I tried to write the Swedish words but right now I'm not sure how to write some of the words that have symbols above certain letters. Like there should be a o above the a in the second word. In English the sentence is, "How are you today?"    From time to time someone might say something in Swedish. I will do my best to translate it.

She mentioned a couple of dances, the"Charleston" and the "Flea-hop".
I've heard of to Charleston but I don't know if I've heard of the Flea-hop. But watching a video of it, I have seen it before.


This first one is of the Charleston.

I tried to find on older video of the Flea-hop but could not. This is the closest I could come. It's a lesson including the flea-hop.
I thought it was funny when she said they looked to much like chickens. I wonder what she would think of the dances they do now a days?
I wonder if she ever had her surgery? if she did i hope she didn't have to suffer to long.
As for Gladys, I guess it was just her way of staying in touch. or maybe to let people know she has not forgotten them.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

This is a picture of Gladys Swanson. I'm not sure if it is the same one who wrote the note of not.

Not sure these guys are. One of them could be Grandpa, but I'm not sure.

This is Mike Swenson age 5. Just one of the old school pictures.

Well that's all I have for you today. I hope you enjoy this wonderful weekend. The snow is almost completely gone, almost. Now if only things could be not so wet and sloppy so cleaning up would be easier.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment