Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Edna: August 26, 1925 Chicago, Ill

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend? Mine was on the short side but I enjoyed the warmer temps. This week the temps are suppose to be in the 40's and  50's. By the end of the week hopefully almost all the snow should be gone. The question is will it stay gone or will it come back again and again before we can enjoy a nice spring.
Anyway here is the next letter from Edna:




As always here is what it says:

                          Chicago, Ill
                         August 26, 1925
Dear Friend Howard:
    I am at taking
time to answer your letter
which now has been in my
possession for some time.
Really tho: I've been very busy
of late. Have not had time to do
a thing for myself or anybody
else.
  I have now been at my
new position for almost two wks.
I'm working for the manger.
Like it very much. There sure
is enough to do here as I'm
doing secretarial work also.
  It sure is lonesome with-
out Linnea. I should die
if it were not for my
books. I am reading more
thou I really ought to.
            2
  next Thursday, if possible,
I'm going to have my operation.
Maby then I shall feel more
like living. Today I really
ought to be at home. I
feel miserable. My throat
is so sore and swollen I
can scarcely eat or speak.
   Well, you say._____
wears rolled stockings. That's
nothing. Here half of
them go without any.
But I don't even wear
mine rolled. Besides,
we would be fired here
if we should be caught.
  Do you think Julia
or Frida have changed any?
I don't. I think they are
the same. We sure had
a picnic when Julia stayed
with us, just before they
               3
left.
Last Saturday I went out
to Gladys. I stayed there
over Sunday. Had a very
nice time. We walked about
two miles. On our way
back we found some
trees and we sat there
in the shade till it
was time for her to go
back. We sang all the
old songs we knew. I
came home Sunday eve.
  You say you have
heard many more
jokes. Why don't you tell
me? You promised me
also that you would
send me that book to
read. I know no more
jokes. I told you all.
  Guess I must stop

now.  Please answer if
you care to.
                In haste,
                     Edna

Not a whole lot here. I wonder if maybe she was going to have her tonsils taken out.
I wish I knew what kind of jokes Grandpa shared with people back then. I do have an old joke book but it is from the fall of 1940. Maybe I'll tell you one of them. Or maybe I'll start by showing you the first page.

Here is a sample of a couple of the jokes:

"How can I cure a sleep-walking habit?"
"Sprinkle tacks on the floor."
or
Some women grow old before their
time trying to look young after their
time.

Those kind of jokes. Maybe from time to time I'll include a joke or two from the book.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

The name on the back of this one is, Rosalene Preston. No idea who she is.

A logging picture that was made into a postcard.

Not sure who this is. It almost looks like Grandpa but I could be wrong.

Well that's all I have for you today.
Enjoy this nice warm weather and hope it stays.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment