Friday, April 10, 2015

Anna: Nov. 14, 1925 Milwaukee, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was, so far, quiet. I am right now in the process of putting together a bridal shower for my youngest daughter, which is this weekend. it's just going to be something simple. More like just a get together for family and friends that can make it. So so going to busy for the next couple of days.
Here is the next letter from Anna. it looks like at this time she was living in Milwaukee. Living with a minister and helping out different people.






Now this is a long letter but as always here is what I make out of it.

             896 Scott St.
            Milwaukee, Wis.
           Nov. 10, 1925
Hello My old Pal:- How
are you? I'm fine. I was
glad to hear you and Mary
are on loneable teams
yet. I read three letters
today thats doing pretty
good isn't it.
   Milwaukee is some
town I can tell you.
I've worked five days since
I came here the rest of
the time I've been sight
seeing. I am at Rev. Hammar
now. It certainly is a
nice place to stay. We

have more fun. They have
no children. I've met so
many nice people in church
also. Dandy young people.
 A woman called up to-
night who wants me to come
and work for her. I said
I would. She is a S. Methodist
and is going to the hospital
and be operated on. I'm
going to keep house for her
man and two boys-12-8.
I have three jobs promised
me in thou different stores
so you see I'm well supplied
as well as a wonderful
boarding & stepping place.
They are a young couple and

I'm so at home here
  Helen & Hannah writes
to me about your kindness
taking them up to the
basket social. What are
you doing now? Are you
still at Rib Lake?
  I think it will be lone-
some out to this place where
I'm going tomorrow because
I've been on the go all the
time here.
  Sat. P.M. there was such
a snow storm but Mrs. H.
and another woman & I
went up town. We giggles
and laughed like crazy.
We heard after wards

about the terrible blizzard
there was Sat. I guess
people thought we were
crazy but we were not
the only ones. The streets as
well as the stores were
just crowded.
I'm reading the book
"Wanderer of the Waste Land"
by Zane Grey. it sure is good.
 Tell Mary Hello? Write
to me soon if not sooner
won't you.
Helsa your Mother,
Dad & Tom from me-
  As ever-the same old
                             Ann

P.S. This is Thur. I never
got you letter mailed so
will write some more. I'm
at Wauwatosa now. Mrs.
Hallstrand went to the
hospital to hours after I
arrived here so you can see
what I have on my hands.
She had an operation for
a tumor this morning.
Mr. H. has been gone all
day and won't be back till
tomorrow night. Two of
the neighbors have called
so I don't feel so alone.
  My address here is
58th and Mieneske route 1
Wauwatosa, Wis.
 In care of Gustav Hallstrand

I think I'll only be here
three weeks then you can
address it to- 896 Scott St.
Milwaukee, Wis. in care
of Rev. C.J. Hammar.
  Write to me soon because
its lonesome out here.
Can you read this
scratching

Now if you remember Anna was in Marinette. Now she is staying at a Rev's place but working at a number of different places.
I wonder how things turned out for Mrs. Hallstrand?
I wonder what kind of places she visited when she was site seeing in Milwaukee?

I looked up the book she was reading by Zane Gray. It was first published in 1923. It is thinly disguises as an autobiography. He wrote more then 90 books. About 50 of his books have been made into about 112 movies. He dies in Oct. 23,1939 of heart failure.

Helsa should have an o over the a which translates in to healthfulness.


Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

On the back is written: Mrs. Nels Johnson and son Fred. No clue when it was taken.

No idea who these women are or when it was taken or where.

This picture is Grandpa's house. I do not know who is standing in the doorway for sure.

Well that's about all I have for you today. I hope you have a good weekend.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment