Friday, April 3, 2015

Mary Kauer: Nov. 5, 1925 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
I hope you had a good week. I've been enjoying the nice warm temps, for at least a couple of days. The frogs were even singing Thursday morning. To me that is a sure sign that spring is really fighting to show it's self. But according to the weatherman the next week will be in the forties. It's better then almost zero and to much snow.
Enough of that here is the next letter from Mary.




As always here is what it says:

                Rib Lake, Wis
                Nov. 5, 1925
Hello Howard:-
  Say but won't this
be a surprise to you.
Imagine me writing sooner
than I said I would.
  Well, Pete didn't say
anything this morning
so I guess he forgot about it.
  How's your cold?

Why don't you take a
drink for it. It ought
to be easy enough for
you to get it, seeing your
a lumberjack.
  I read part of the
book last nite yet and
this morning I was mad
about it. I was pretty
tired when I got up.
I don't think I'll do any
reading for awhile now.

I've got quite a bit of
sewing to do now for
our church fair.
  Say I can't think of
any news when I write
with a pencil so I'll have
to quit. Anyhow I told
you all I knew last
nite. I'm going over now
and give my sister a
talking to.
I just asked Mrs. Hippe
what to write and she

didn't know of anything
so good bye for this
time.
                 Mary
P.S. Don't get lonesome
it doesn't pay at all.

Grandpa is still staying at the Central Hotel in Rib Lake.He is also lumber-jacking. I guess being a lumberjack gave you close contact with alcohol. Remember it was prohibition time so getting a drink was suppose to legal.
I wonder what Pete knew that she was expecting him to comment on?
I wonder what book she was reading?
I guess when she writes with a pencil she can't think of news. I wonder why?
I get a kick out of the fact they had just seen each other the night before that she still felt she needed to write a letter.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

  Here is one of the logging pictures. No idea who could be in the picture or when it was taken.

No clue who this was. it was taken in Appleton,Wis. at Ross studio.

At the bottom someone wrote, I think, Ellen & myself. On the back a stamp says it was processed Jul 19,1929. No clue who they are.

Well that's all I have to share with you.
I hope you have a good Easter weekend.
Till next Tuesday.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment