Friday, April 24, 2015

Mary Kauer: Dec. 10, 1925 Rib Lake Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was still uneventful. I just wish it could have been warmer and no little snow showers.
Here is the next letter from Mary:




As always here is what it says:

                 Rib Lake Wis
                  Dec. 10, 1925
Dear Howard:-
  I'm glad to hear you
got home alright and hope
your cough didn't get any
worse. Then Mrs. Westberg would
think you're going to die
pretty soon.
  They didn't say anything
here about getting in late
I don't know if they heard

me or not.
 But I saw Agnes Schnieder
this week and she said that
Ma was mad cause I called
you up. it's no use talking
Howard we've got to quit and
quit for keeps. But we'll
have to be farther apart
than 17 miles for that, don't
you think so, too? Let's one
of us move to Canada and
the other to mexico.

Well, I hope the roads will
be good till Saturday.
Maybe I'll know some news
then, I don't know a darn
thing to write tonight.
What are you doing now,
are you at work or are
you still at home being
Mammes boy baby.
 So long now, I've got to
go to church or I'll be

late
  (In Norway a girl who wishes to
marry must first show a certificate of
her ability as a cook before she can
become a wife.)

I couldn't get married in a
hundred years because
all I can cook is vegetable
soup and no one can eat
soup three times a day

P.S. next time you wish anything
for me, wish that I could write a
nice looking letter.

I liked the little thing she cut out of a paper about girls in Norway having to prove they can cook. Could you imagine if that was a rule today? But maybe it should be a rule for everyone who lives on their own. It's better to know how to cook then just heat or throw something in the microwave.
For two people who lived 17 miles apart they sure did enough writing. But that distance at that time was harder to travel.But I think they got together a lot more then other people knew.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

No clue for sure who they are. But I think there is a possibility they are children of Grandpa's brother, maybe.

Since it is spring I thought I would share a picture of ground being broken.

No idea who this is. The picture was taken in Appleton, Wis. At a studio named Ross.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend.
Till Tuesday.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment