Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Cousin Walter Walin: Nov. 9, 1925 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good Easter weekend. Mine was good. No dramas. Just a nice weekend for me.
It's been a while since I've shared a letter with you from Cousin Walter. So here it is.





When Walter writes a letter, he writes a letter. As always here is what it says:

                    Chicago Ill.
                    Nov 8, 1925
Dear Howard:
                  Received your
letter some three or four
weeks ago and have
bee rather busy so didn't
have time to answer
before. I took a little
walk this a.m. and happened
to walk past this girls house
you told me about. Clary
or something like that at
3510 Southport Ave and I
thot' gee I haven't answered
Howards letter so I decided
to do it tonight before
I go out on my usual
Sun eve jaunt. (Ha!) Do
you ever hear from her

Give me her number and address
and I'll call her up some
time & say its you.
  Hows the weather
up north. its pretty cold
here today. Rained all
day yesterday & last eve
at 8 it turned to snow
and also turned colder.
   Jalmer Sulkko came
to Chi. several weeks ago.
He wrote me from here
but I never answered yet also
they called up twice but
I was out. I think I'll
have to answer it soon
or never. Guess they tho't
perhaps a I could locate
a job for him. Well
they're out of luck as I
can hardly keep working

myself. Oh no not that
I'm out of a job but just
don't like the one I have
but must hold it as
they are very scarce.
         How's the Roseen,
Julin & Westberg family's
O.K. I suppose. I understand
Anna wanted to come to
Chi. Boy she'd get spoiled
down here (Ha!
   I met a swell girl
the other eve altho I already
have a couple others but then
whats a girl or two extra Ha
This one I met Thur eve
is about 17 years old and
sings in a choir. She
doesn't dance or go to

shows, she's a real goody goody.
I'm meeting her again
next Thur eve. Her mother
is sickly & she's the only
one in the family & her dads
dead. They own a swell
3 story brick house they live in
and judging from its location
it is worth close to
a 100,000 grand dollars. She
seemed to like me pretty much
& Oh Boy what I wouldn't
do for a $100,000. Ha! it
sure is worth while if I
can only make the grade.
I'd get married next week
for that amount wouldn't
you? Wish me luck
will you old boy. Listen
mum's  the world about
this please as I don't

want any one to know,
so please tell no one.
   Well news is rather
scarce so must close
for now. Write me
a line soon & tell me
the news.
           Your Cousin
            Walter
greet Tom and the folks for
me as well as Ma & Pa.

Walter can definitely write a letter. I wonder what Grandpa's letter looked like. I will never know I guess.
I wonder if Walter ever hooked up with Katheryn.
Or did he hook up with the girl that lived in the place he figured was worth $100,000? If he did will he ever say her name?  If her place was worth that much back then I wonder what it would be worth now days.
I wonder how many girlfriends he had at the time.
It sounds like he still has the same job but like so many other people does not like his job but with the lack of jobs he has to hold on to it.

Here is a joke from the joke book that might just fit here.

"Are you looking for something, sir?"
I thought it was kind of funny.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

On the back it says Mr. & Mrs. P.W. Johnson
Mr.& Mrs. S.A. Roseen
about 1922.

I wonder if this is the same Roseen Walter mentioned.

I'm pretty sure this is Grandpa. But I don't know what year it was taken.

This one was to big to put in the scanner so I took a picture of it.
At the bottom it says:  N. Nelson  Ogema, Wis.
A logging camp. No idea what year it was taken.

Well that's all I have for you today.
So come back on Friday and I will have another new letter and bunch of pictures for you to look at.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment