Friday, June 26, 2015

Mary Kauer: Mar. 9, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to the weekend. For me it's the beginning of a vacation. What am I going to do? Not sure. I still have rehearsals for the play at night so I can't really go anywhere. Plus the husband will be trying to make hay, weather permitting.
Enough of that. This next letter is from Mary and it's 7 pages long. Lots if info in this one. But I also have to warn you that there are a couple of things in it that may be on the controversial side. So be prepared.







 Well here goes:

                 Rib Lake Wis
                 Mar. 9, 1926
Dear Howard:-
  I got your letter this
morning and since it
was such a long one
I'll answer it right away
That's the kind I like
to get.
  So you think I ought
to pray for nice weather.
well, I'd like to see
you so I could tell
you all the scandal
of Rib lake but gee, I
don't get time to pry
for anything else, so
how can I pray for nice
weather?

I'll tell you all about
Kapity when I see you
some time. It's too
much bunk to write in
a letter.
Did you know "Shorty"
the barber at Bushaw's?
Well, he's going with Helen
Williams now and he
must be real stuck on her.
He says he met his true
love at last and all such
stuff. She was in the shop
one nite having her hair
cut and Shorty was making
love to her while he was
cutting her hair. He had
the curtains down but
not quite far enough

so I think half the men
in town peaked in at
him. They said that Wagner
and Shroeda would go
to work a little while
and then go back and
watch a little while
and then go back and
watch Shorty. I guess they
sure kid him enough
about it. Well, next time
he'll turn out the lights
if he doesn't want to be
seen.
  You wanted to know
where Williams is going.
I don't know anything
about that, seeing I'm not
one of Mr. Williams
friends.

So you think Ed and
the teacher will soon
be (one). Well, I hope
get your five dollars (and give me some of it)
and I wish I could see
Ed once. Wouldn't I tease
him? I guess men are
all alike. They all say
they'll be bachelors and
they'd never be so fool-
ish as to get married and
first thing you know
they are "tied". If it's
that serious I s'pose there
will soon be a little
Ed to call you (Uncle Hai)
 So you still get lonesome
Well, I've given you all

kinds of advice on how to
get over it so why don't
you follow it? I s'pose
Thomas is feeling blue
now since Edna left.
You wanted to know if
I was sat on the floor at
skating. Wilma says I sit
on the men. it wasn't quite
that bad but I did take
quite a Fin tumbles.
Once I tripped that Indian
or N***** half breed. And I
fell once while I was
skating with Harvey Wagner
and three times with a fellow
from the office. I guess he
felt sorry for Wilma so

he tried to teach me and
that's what he got for it. But
he bumped into me once and
made me fall so we're even
again. It's great I'm anyway
but I was up Sunday afternoon
and I could hardly stand on
them (skates) I don't know what was the
matter with me.
  Say, I feel all spooky now.
I just came back from lodge
meeting and the ladies were
telling ghost stories up there.
I was glad that I didn't have
far to walk but everything
was dark up here and you
know how that makes you
feel.

I guess I had better quit
writing now and go to sleep
as I want to do some sewing
tomorrow. I made me one dress
already and I want to make
two or three more then I'll be
all set again. Mrs. Bogumill
has company and all they did
this week was sew. This place
looked like a dressmakers
shop the last few days.
You wanted to know what
is the matter with Dodge. Mary
Schneider is working there now
and I think she said he had
kidney trouble.
    Good bye & good luck
          from M.K.
I'll send you food this
week.

Like I said a long letter. I'm sorry about the word that should not be said, spoken or written now a days. I just decided not to write the full word as she did as it is very improper to say now. I do not agree with her doing it but that was then this is now. It is history that is fading away, I hope.
As for the scandal, wow. I wonder how long that stayed fresh in peoples mind.
I also hope the two of them did get married as he said she was the true love of his life.
I wonder if she ever got the hang of roller skating?
I certainly hope she got all of her dresses made the way she wanted to.

Well here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

 I think the man might be Grandpa. I wonder why the woman is covering her face?


These two pictures are of one of my uncles senior class trips in the 1950's.

Well I think that's all I have for you today. Once again I hope you were not offended by her language. I can not promise that they are all going to be clean but if there is foul language again I will always warn you before you start reading so you can op out reading it.
Enjoy your weekend, I know I will.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment