Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Mary Kauer: Aug. 2, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends:-
   Well how was your weekend? I think Mother Nature is either by-polar or going through the change. On Saturday it was such a mixed up day. Snow one minute sunny the next. Then sunny with flurries. Between Friday and Saturday the snow was once again covered with that white stuff but, now it's gone again. Robins don't know what to do from one day to the next.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:



As always, for those who fine it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Rib Lake Wis
                 Tues 10 a.m.
Dear Howard:-
   Well, you see I
am home again. I would
have answered from
Sturgeon Bay but I did
not know how long
I would be there. Jos.
came to get us Sunday
Mary Schneider came
with him and they went
to Fish Creek where Mary's
relatives live and then
they got us.
Gee, we sure had a
good time there, but
I am so brown now
that I look like a
real Indian. There

was a fellow there who
asked Kitty if I wasn't
part Indian. That's some
compliment, isn't it?
I guess no one would
ever take me for a
Swede, would they?
How are you getting
along, are you all thru
haying? Pa & John & Kauer's
boys are out about 10
miles making hay
in some meadow. It's
near the camp where
the boys worked last
winter.
We have our phone
now so I may call you
up tonite. It seems
good to be able to

talk to people when
you want.
I am canning some
cherries so I think I
had better quit now
or they will burn.
So long and good
luck from me. Mary

Well at least she had a good time in Sturgeon Bay picking cherries.It sounds like she got a good tan. I wonder if it was a complement to her to hear that or not.
I wonder if Grandpa was done with making hay at that time. I wonder where if her pa and the others had to bring that hay home. Ten miles is a long ways to bring hay home. Especially if it was loose. I'm not sure if they baled hay back then or not. I have shown you a number of pictures of hay piled on a wagon.
At least at this time she finally got a phone. I wonder how much time she spent on it. I wonder if she called
Grandpa up that night or not.
So many answers that have faded away.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.


A haying picture from around that time, I think.

Someone had a pup tent set up in the yard.


Not sure who Grandma Miller is. At least I don't think she is a relative.

I am thinking of adding another thing to this blog.
I have a number of viewer cards and a viewer. I'm think of sharing the cards with you.
Here is one of the cards:

 1. Refugee camp made of scraps corrugated sheet iron gathered from the ruins.

 This card is the first of 25 in this group. I believe that it is picture from the Great Quake of 1906.
I know the effect is better looking through the viewer but I'm not sure how to get that affect. But the pictures themselves are very interesting.
If or when I decide to start this I will be including one with every letter. You will know what I decide by next letter.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment