Friday, April 8, 2016

Mary Kauer: Aug. 9, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
How are you? Boy this week feels like it just flew by. The weekend is upon us again. I enjoy my weekends I only wished that time would slow down for the weekends. I don't mind the week feeling like it just flew by but with each day that goes by we get closer to the end of another year what feels like to fast.
I've made a decision, I will be including two viewer cards with each letter and just one old picture. As you can see I've added the viewer and the cards on the side so you can see what I have to share with you.I only wish you could see the full effect of the cards but I don't know how to do that. So, just seeing the old pictures from a time gone by is all I have to offer you. I might try to explain what pops out when I look through the viewer.
O.K.?
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                     Rib Lake Wis
                    Aug. 9, 1927
Dear Howard:-
  Wie gehts? I hope
alright the same as
I. Did you miss me
at the party or was
it a success without
me? John and Mart &
I & Rose went to con-
fession Sat. evening
and then Sunday
morning we had a
couple of flat tires
so we had to go to
mass at 10 o'clock else
we would have gone
at 8.
Where do you think
I was Sunday? We went

to see Wisneskis. We, Rose
Joe Hauer & I went to see
some girl that Joe got
stuck on and he took
us along because he
was too bashful to
go alone. When we got
there she wasn't at
home so we talked to
her dad a while and
then we didn't want
to go back home for
supper so that's how
we happened to go over
there.
We were at Schneiders
last nite. Ella Schneider
is home this week. She
is going back Sunday that's

not a a very long vacation,
is it? She told us all
the work she had to do
and gee, I t'hot I was
working hard last
winter, but it wasn't so bad
now. She gets $15 a week
but I wouldn't work
that much for anyone.
She is going to stay
in Milwaukee this winter
yet and then she is going
to work in the hospital
again, that is where she
was before.
 Pa & John came home
from hay making Sat.
afternoon and now they
are cutting oats.

Did I tell you that Mart
went picking blue berries
last week and only got
about 5 quarts all day?
I see where we don't do
much canning this year.
  Well so long and
don't work too hard.
               Mary.

First thing, "Wie gehts" means "How are you" in German.
I wonder what kind of party Grandpa went to where Mary didn't go? Did he have a good time?
I'm positive I didn't spell the one word on the 2nd page right. I'm not sure exactly what she meant to write.
I wonder if Joe ever hooked up with the girl he was stuck on. I wonder what they talked to her dad about. Did it help or hurt his pursuit of this girl?
I wonder where Ella worked and what kind of work she did. Which did she like best, where she was working or at the hospital she was planning to work at later.
As you see it was harvest time. Completing the hay, cutting the oats plus picking blue berries.Busy time of year.

Now as I promised, here are two more cards from the group based on the Earth quake of 1906 in San Francisco, California. It struck at 5:12 am. It was about a 7.8 magnitude, they think. 3,000 people died. 80% of the city was destroyed. There a total of 25 cards in this group.

 2. Market St. from ferry depot--Chronicle and Call buildings in distance.
  3. Look northeast from corner Sutter and Jones Sts.

The people pop out most in these pictures.

Since I will be showing you a couple of view cards with every letter I will only be showing you one picture at a time. I am starting to run out of different pictures to share with you and some of them I'm still debating if they are worth showing. Pictures of things like cats and cows, scenery pictures, and some that are very similar to what I've already shown you.
So here is the picture I decided to share with you today:
I don't know if I have shown you this one before or not. He does look familiar.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment