Friday, April 22, 2016

Mary Kauer: Oct. 24, 1927 Wausau, Wis.

Dear Friends,
The weekend is here again. My week was normal, no drama for me.Nothing to report that is worth mentioning.
So I will get to the next letter from Mary. She is now living in Wausau. It's east of here almost 40 miles from here.


As always, for those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

218 4th Ave north
                               Wausau, Wis
                                Sunday, Eve.
Dear Howard:-
   This is where I landed. Joe
took me and Rose over Tuesday and
we got a job right away so we stayed
otherwise I wanted to go to Rugby
Junction. We are working at a hotel
here and like it real well. The
only thing I don't like about it is that
we have to work on Sundays, too.
Our boss is a real good natured lady
so that helps a whole lot. And
say Howard, there's a girl here that
knows you too. Her name is
Beulah but I don't know her last
name. She has red hair.
She asked me where I came from

and then she wanted to know if I
knew Wicks. Then she said she was
from Ogema and I asked her if she
knew you and she said sure I do,
he was out creamery man, he was
quite a kid. Now that sounds funny
to me after you telling me you
belonged to the woman haters club. So
do I belong to the man haters club maybe
How are you, I hope fine the same
as I. I certainly do like it here but
Oh gee, we had to miss that dance
at Knolls tonite. That almost breaks
my heart which I suppose you know.
So if you hear something rattle on
me sometime that's my heart all
cracked up. Well, so long and
good luck from    M.K.

I wonder why she moved to Wausau? It sounded like her and Rose got lucky and found jobs right away.
Here is a picture I found on the internet of Wausau in the 1920's.

Image result for "Wausau wisconsin in the 1920's"
This is actually a picture someone called "Now and Then" It's a mesh of two different time periods. One from the 1920's and another one about thirty years later. It kind of shows how some things changed and some didn't. I wonder how far this was from where Mary lived back then.


Here are two more cards from the Earthquake of 1906:

 10. Looking east from corner Ellis and Jones __ Tall building, The San Francisco Call.
11. Seventh Regiment National Guards, from Los Angeles, camped in Lincoln Square, Oakland, Cal.

I wonder if any of the tall building were saved or if they all had to be torn down.
I wonder how long the National Guard stayed in Lincoln Square.

Here is a random picture for you to look at.

 I'm not sure if I showed you this one before. This is Gladys, Edna & Linnea Swanson.
No idea what year it was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today. I hope you have a good weekend.
Come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment