Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Mary Kauer: Oct. 12, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine, was nice and almost a little to warm. But it was a good drama free weekend for me. It is a little cooler right now then it had been this last weekend. Did manage to get a few things done outside.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Rib Lake, Wis
                   Oct. 12, 1927
Hello Howard:-
   Gee, I was surprised to hear
from you again. I t'hot you
were sore at me for good. I
just wrote a card to you last
time and I t'hot maybe you
were waiting for a letter
after that. I might have
written before this but I
always t'hot that we would
go away and now we are still
at home. I don't know whether
we will go this week or not. We
have our potatoes and beggies
all out now.
  John went away the 11th of Sept.
and Anton is still at the same place.

I'm glad you are having a good
time this summer because I
certainly did. I guess there wasn't
a single Sunday that we didn't have
a party or dance somewhere, but I
guess it's the end now as most of
the boys are going to camp.
Albert Ziemke, Fuch's boys and Kauer's
are going to some camp that's about
80 miles from here so you see
they won't be home very often.
  Say, why didn't you ever come
down with that fellow, what's his
name, Otto Tech? I t'hot every Sunday
you might come but you never
did. I don't know whether I'll be
home now anymore but bring
him any how. Gee, pa would be
glad to see him. But you've got
to be here about one o'clock be-
cause now since pa can

run the car he's always out
bumming.
  Say, what do you think, Joseph
wants to get married this winter,
he said we shouldn't say anything
about it but I guess he's serious
I see where I'll have to buy
some presents.
Well so long, I didn't wash
the dishes yet.
                        Mary.


If she wrote a card before this one, it looks like it was one Grandpa did not keep for some reason or lost it. It has been over a month since the last letter.
Mary sounds like she was having a good time dancing and partying.
Beggies are rutabaga's.
It sounds like a number of different people are going in different directions.
I wonder if Joseph was able to get married over the winter?


Here are two more cards from the 1906 Earthquake:

 8. Ruins of the Jewish Synagogue on Sutter St. ; stood the great earthquakes of 1865 and 1868.
9. View of Nobb Hill, the millionaire residence district.

Looking at these pictures and then watching the news about the earthquakes in Japan and Ecuador, both show the devastation that a quake, not matter when the damage is the same.
The temple was rebuilt in 1907. It was used until the late 1920's. I wonder what became of this location.
I wonder how many millionaires lost their big houses that day.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:



  I wonder what kind of fire this was back in Sept. 1929. Grandpa often like to put the section description on some pictures.

 Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment