Friday, April 15, 2016

Mary Kauer: Aug. 27, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
The weekend is finally here! And it's going to be a beautiful one at that. I'll be able to start getting things cleaned up and fixed up outside. It's going to be in the 70's. I plan on enjoying it as much as possible.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:




 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

             Rib Lake Wis
             Friday eve.
Dear Howard:-
   Well, the excite-
ment is over for this
week. I mean Amelia
Fuch's wedding. She was
married Wednesday. It
certainly was a pretty
wedding, but gee if it
had been me I would
have been so excited
that I couldn't stand
but she said it didn't
bother her. Her hus-
bands name is George
Rust. He is from Chicago.
He got a pretty bad
bump on the way to
church. They crossed a

bridge at 55 miles so
you can imagine what
it was like.
We were over at
Kauers tonite and my
aunt said that in the
old country they did so
much shooting at Weddings
instead of shivaree  and
Anton said they ought to
shoot the people that
get married.
I was hopes that
Rose would get married this
fall but it doesn't look
like it. I promised her
all my hope chest if she
did but so far that has
not helped.
I s'pose your school will

start soon now. Agnes
is coming up next
Sunday. Time certainly
flies doesn't it? And
John is going soon. Rose
and I want to go when he
does.
Kitty said that her bro-
thers Lambert wants to get
a woman cook and three
girls for cookers this year
so we told her to take
take the cook's job and
we would put in an ap-
plication for cooks. Gosh
wouldn't we be making
good money. Kitty's husband
would say, yes but little
of it.
Are you going to the

fair next week? I don't
know whether we will
go or not they aren't hav-
ing a Rib Lake day.
  It's 11 P.M. already so
I'm kind of tired and I'll
say good nite
              Mary.

It sounds like there was a lot of excitement at that time. People getting married was the draw at that time. I wonder if Rose was able to get married any time soon? I wonder if Agnes moved to Chicago or if they stayed up here.
I wonder if everyone was able to get the cook they wanted for the camp or wherever they were needed?
August is Fair time. I wonder if Grandpa went. I wonder which fair she was talking about.

Here are two more cards from the Earthquake of 1906.

 6. Forming bread line at Jefferson Square.

7. Looking east from the corner Pine and Stockton, showing the ruins of the Mills Building.

Just think it will be 110 years since the big one in California on Monday. I follow a site that shows earthquakes around the world. Today and yesterday were very active by Japan, they had a 7 today, plus by Vanuatu had a couple of 6's and Guatemala also had a 6. I wonder if the US could be headed to a another big one some day soon?

Since she was talking about weddings I thought I would share a wedding picture of a time gone by.

No idea who they are or when it was taken. This might be the last wedding picture like this one or I might show you what is in a very old photo album but they will be harder to scan or I might have to take a picture of them to show you some time. But not today.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
Enjoy your weekend, I know I will.
I hope you will come back soon for more fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment