Friday, June 3, 2016

Helen Balusik: March 13, 1928 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Another week gone. The beginning of June. Almost half of a year gone already. Where has the time gone? It looks like this weekend here will be cooler and wet, again.
Oh well, here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                       Evanston, Ill.
                        Mar. 12_28
Dear Howard:
   Your very interesting letter
was received last week one
day and surely was glad
to hear from you. Thats
just the kind of long letters
I like to get.
  Well I'm glad we haven't
any snow out here. It is
like Florida here compared
to Wisconsin. It really is
a cold state at least I always
thought it was.
  So you don't think you like
to farm alone. You should
be glad you haven't some
one to fight and quarrel
with like some of the rest do.
I think it does a man good
to practice house-keeping (HaHa)
Yes, I did hear about
the fire out there that they
had last summer.
 Here in the papers all a
person reads is about death
and committing suicides and
such things.

It really is terrible what the
world is turning too.
  Yesterday was Sunday in
the evening I went to church
heard a wonderful sermon.
I like to visit different churches
some of them have such
wonderful choirs.
Do you happen to know
Frank & Anna Novy? They are
pretty good friends of mine
and I have heard they use
to live in Ogema so I
thought I would ask you
if you happened to know
them. They both work
in a cafeteria only a short
distance from where I work.
This is Frank's first winter
in Evanston so I don't think
he likes it here so well.
  it takes quite awhile
to get use to this hustle-
bustal  of a city. Especially
Chicago is terrible for rushing.
I go about two or three
times a week to Chicago because
that's where all the big
stores are, and the amusement

                  2
places.
I can smell something good
cooking I hope it is chicken
We have a very good cook
here a person can't help
but want to eat all the
time. She's from Dorchester, Wis.
  You asked me what
direction from Phillips I live
I believe it is north about
six miles. (The prettiest spot
in Phillips seems to me) I
suppose just because I live
there- Ha Ha.
It is getting late so I must
get busy and finish my
days work. The best part
of a day is when the work
is finished don't you think?
Well I hope I can hear
from you soon - I also
love to get your nice letters
I didn't think mine were
very good -
               I remain
                 your friend
                    Helen


   Once again someone mentions his long letters. It's so sad that I will never be able to see what he wrote.
I wonder what kind of news he shared with her.
If I remember right there was a big fire somewhere around here.
   It must have been a warm year around by Evanston. She was right about Wisconsin being a cold state. it can get a little to cold around here during the winter months and some spring too.
 live around a big city I suppose a lot of news was about who died and how.
Being 1928 it was getting close to the big crash. Maybe some people were ending it all before it even happened.
Grandpa must have been telling her how lonely being on a farm was without a woman in his life.
Dorchester  is south of where I live about ten miles or so. It's a small town.
It is always amazing how many people from around here ended up in the bigger cities.
I wonder if Grandpa knew Frank and Anna Novy? I hope I spelled the name right.
Her statement "It really  is terrible what the world is turning too." In my opinion can be applied today.
Also she is right, that the best time of the day is when work is done. That is right no matter when you live.
I guess maybe sometime I will have to check out where she could have lived, just to see if it is as pretty as she says.
I do enjoy her letters. I'm not sure how many there will be from her.

Here are two more viewer cards from the courtship and marriage set:

 9. Showing the Engagement Ring.
10. "My Wife To-Morrow."

I wish there was a better closeup of the ring.
I wonder how much time there was between getting the ring and getting married.One last stolen kiss before they walk down the isle.      

   Here is a random picture for you to look at:

I have no idea who this is. But I'm sure someone will tell me.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today. I hope you have a good weekend.
Come back soon for more fading history.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment