Friday, June 24, 2016

Helen Balusik: April 2, 1928 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. I'm involved with the Medford Area Community Theater. I'm in charge of the back stage. I'm not a singer so I'm usually back stage. The play we are doing is "Spamalot". It is a must see thing to do. The performance dates are July 7, 8 & 9th of July. So if you happen to find yourself in the area, you should come check us out.

Anyway, Here is the next letter from Helen:




As always, for those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                            Apr. 2-28
Dear Howard:
  Your very welcome letter
was received also I thank
you for the pictures you
send me they are very good.
I will enclose the one you
want back.
  Today looks so much
like rain but I hope it
doesn't rain tomorrow for
that's my day off.
Yesterday being Sunday
I went to church at nite
to Chicago. They had such
a wonderful singing there
wished you could have
heard them. Also a girl

about five years old sang a
couple solo's for the audience.
Say Howard, I just want to
ask you this, I have a very nice
girl friend she is also working
here- She is about twenty-seven
years old quite tall and she
wondered if your brother
wouldn't like to correspond
with her. It is only up to him,
of course, but perhaps he don't
care about girls, does he?
So many people around here
are sick with mumps and
the different contagious diseases.
One of my girl friends just
got through with the mumps
Saturday she didn't work for
a week. Seems to me every
time my throat is a little
sore I think I'm getting them (Ha Ha)
Maybe I will be fooled some
time.
I could laugh here in
the city the women they love to
go out and take walks
with the dogs. I often think
if they had to work on the
farm for a change like
some of us poor kids do eh?
The trees are all budding
here and the grass is almost
green, sure looks lovely in the

spring especially about next
month.
It won't be long and you will
be going fishing and canoeing
won't you? My I really do
love to go fishing I don't think
there is any other sport I like
better. I have to laugh when
I hear my father say the first
time he went fishing he
caught a frog-(Ha Ha) Some
fisherman I'll tell the world.
What are the latest songs
around there?
Well I must say goodbye
          and be good.
"write       "Happy Easter
soon           to you Howard"
                  Sincerely Helen

First let me show you the picture he sent her that she sent back.



Grandpa is the one with the x above him. Not sure who the neighbors are.
I wonder what kind of songs the little 5 year old sang. To bad she didn't say.
As for the girl she knew that maybe wanted to write to Grandpa's brother Thomas. I think she would have been a little to tall for him. He was on the short side.
I wonder if she ever got the mumps.
She's right about laughing at the city women that walk their dogs. What else could they do? If they worked on a farm they would be to busy doing other chores to walk a dog. It applies to people today, also.
As for fishing. I wish I could go fishing sometimes. It's hard for me to fish with my husband because he has no patience to sit still very long. I could say in one place for a long time, even if I don't catch anything. It's the quiet time. Very relaxing for me.
I hope Grandpa had a Happy Easter

here are the next two viewer card from the courtship and marriage set:

 21. The Father's Congratulations.
22. The Wedding Breakfast.

Her father finally welcomes the groom into the family.
This must have been an early morning wedding if they had a breakfast and not a dinner.
Notice the little girl in the front behind the fern.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment