Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Nellie Currier: March 19, 1928 Manchester, N.H.

Dear Friends,
How was your weekend? Around here it ended in the dark. Sunday a small but very powerful storm went through. We were out of electricity for 6 hours. All of town was out also. I think they were out around half that amount. There were a number of trees that were blown over. In my yard, only a few small branches came off trees. So we were luckier then some.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Nellie:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says.

                   485 Lake Shore Rd,
                   Manchester, N.H.
                        3/18/28
Dear Howard:-
  I am trying to answer your
yesterdays letter which I was
more than pleased to answer.
You say you have always had
a good reputation so far, but
how about in the future. Ha, Ha.
I try to be jolly once in a
while anyway, but you can't
help getting mad once
in a while, can you? You must
have to work pretty hard for a
living seeing your parents

                2
are both gone, or didn't you live
with them. I am living with
my father as my mother has
been gone for nearly eight years.
I suppose your other brothers
are both older than you aren't they?
We are having a terrible snow
storm out here to-day. It is snow-
ing so fierce that we can hardly
see across the road. Some snow
storm, eh? i suppose you have
worse ones than this don't you?
I am sorry to say I have
no photo of myself just now
but perhaps by my next writing
time (if you answer this letter) I
will have one to send to you.

                (3)
But Howard, if you want to
you can send me a photo
of yourself when you get one I
would be more than glad to
see what kind of a guy
you are.
  I suppose you have
about a thousand other letters
to write from the club girls
haven't you?
Well having nothing
else to say for this time
I am closing my

             (4)
second letter to you in hopes
to hear from you again before
long.
                     I remain,
           Miss Nellie Currier
           485 Lake Shore Rd
                Manchester
                                 N.H.

Well letter number 2 from Miss Nellie. Not to much here. Still trying to get a feel of one another, I think. I wonder how much snow she got at that time back then.
He must have told her he had a good reputation.
Grandpa's mother died Feb. 13, 1928. I wonder how long it will be before there is a letter from someone saying something about her death. She was born Jan. 5, 1857. Which made her 71 years old.
Grandpa and Thomas were late in life babies.

Here are the next two viewer cards in the courtship and marriage set:

 11. Placing the Orange Blossoms.
12. Decorating for the Wedding.

I wonder if putting Orange blossoms in a brides head piece was a common thing.
As for decorating for the wedding, they sure like to use a lot of plants.


Here is a random picture for you to look at:

Not sure when this was taken. Grandpa is the one on the left.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week. Don't forget to drop by again for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment