Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sigrid Niemela: March 29, 1928 Mt. Iron Minn.

Dear Friends,
I'm not to sure what to say about this last weekend. Mine was not to bad. The weather was hot and I got a little sun burned. Now for all of the other things going on in Florida, wow. It's almost hard to imagine that kind of thing even happened.For so many people to lose their lives like that. At the hands of someone just wrapped up in so much hatred. My heart goes out to all the families and friends who lost someone or had someone hurt. I wonder what my grandparents would have thought if something like that happened in their time.
Anyway, here is a letter from a new girl, Sigrid Niemela:


  As always for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Mt. Iron, Minn.
                   Mar. 29, 1928
Dear unknown friend,
  Far I fell sure that
we can become friends.
I am just a lonesome
girl of 21 looking for
friends and companions.
Living in a small
town makes life very
monotonous and dreary
and my chances are
scarce of escaping, as
I'm staying with my
aged grandparents.
Seeing your name in
a club paper to which
you belong I thought
I'll try and I might
be lucky and win a loyal

friend.
 I am Finnish, age
21, brown hair, blue-gray
eyes and mare stout
than thin.
  If you feel that we
could be friends please
write soon and send
a photo if you have
one. I haven't at
present.
               Sincerely,
                Sigrid
address Miss Sigrid Niemela
Bx 196 Mt. Iron,
                        Minn.


It's a nice first letter. Just putting her feelers out just a little bit. I wonder what she meant by "mare stout". I think I know. Maybe a little on the heavier side. I'm not sure if she does ever send a picture.
I had never heard of Mt. Iron, Minn. before so I looked it up.
It was founded in 1892. It was incorporated into a city in 1972. The population around the time she wrote was around 1300. Today it is around 2890.  The city motto is  "Taconite Capital of the World"  Taconite is a low grade iron consisting largely of chert. It's found around Lake Superior. It's located in the north east area of Minnesota.

Here are the next two pictures from the courtship and marriage set.

 15. The Wedding March.
16. The Wedding.

I think it would be interesting if I challenged someone to copy these wedding pictures for their wedding. I doubt if anyone would because of the style of dress is very old fashioned.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

I'm not sure if I've shown you this one before of not. I do not know at this time who it is.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today. I hope you have a good week.
Don't forget to drop by again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment