Friday, August 12, 2016

Helen Balusik: May 4, 1928 Evanston Ill.

Dear Friends,
It was a kind of quiet week, except for all the rain we got. Someone please find the valve and shut it off for awhile.I just hope there is no rain this weekend. Maybe someone just wants someone to say Uncle! We give up!
Anyway here is the next letter from Helen:




 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                       Evanston, Ill.
                          May 3-28
My Dear Howard:
   Here it is a week
almost and I haven't
answered your letter yet, well
I sure am sorry I make you
wait so long but you will
forgive won't you Howard.
It's so much like summer
out tonite too grand to stay
in but I have to practice
on my guitar that's why I'm
staying in.
I had a hard day today
feel awful tired maybe it's
because its so hot. Just like
in July here these few days.
After that comes a storm
I presume.
 You should see the hundreds
of cars that go past here
everyday its quite a
noisy district that's what
I like--I don't like it too
quiet where you can't hardly

see a soul go by all day.
I got a letter from home
few days ago and they are
anxiously waiting for me
to come home. They wouldn't
mind if I was there already
but that's too early. Every
thing is getting to be so
beautiful here now-- how
I do love spring, don't you?
We have a dandy porch
swing (just for two) in the
back & I often think oh if
Howard only was here we
wouldn't have that swing
empty at all- would we
Howard. Everyday we
would have a swing together.
  I could have laughed
when you wrote you will
let your wife choose the
color of paint for the inside
of the house- Looks like
Howard was planning on
getting married soon eh?
  You surely must not

            2
forget to invite me, I'll even
play for you on a accordian
if you wish (Ha Ha)
Yes, I imagine girls are
a puzzle but I think the
boys the same way. So we
are both alike. But what
are your particular reasons
for thinking so?
  The girls rooming with me
have so much candy having
around tonite seeing there
out I'm having a feast
on them- Oh boy, are
they good. Wish you could
have a bite. But after
they see I've been at them
I might catch it from
them but I feel like
fighting sometimes so don't
be surprised if someone
gets a black eye.
Well Howard its about
time I should quit I
never write long letters

do I? yet I always want
a long one from you.
Well I am hoping I get an
early reply I will try not to
be so slow in answering
after this.
   Well Howard goodnite
    & sweet dreams.
          Your New friend
                Helen

I nice letter. It sounds like it was kind of warm there at that time.
I wonder how good she got playing the guitar. And the accordian.
I wonder what he was so confused about girls for.
He was trying his hardest to find the right wife.
I wonder if she got in trouble for taking some of her other room mates candy.
I wonder if she was a kind of scrapper.And if she ever gave or got a black eye.
I wonder if she was able to share that swing with anyone special. I hope so.

Well I will be starting a new set of viewer cards. This one I am calling "Fun With Friends".
This set is very interesting. There are names on the back saying who each of the people are. I wonder if this is something that someone they knew did.

 Three couples and a young girl climbing over a fence.

 In this one if you look close you will see the guys are wearing women's hats and bonnets.

Some of them are not in the best of shape. They are a little faded.
If anyone sees or recognize a name I would like to hear about them.
There is a chance that these pictures were taken locally.
I wonder what year they were taken in.
There is a chance that these might have belonged to Grandma's side of the family.
Who ever took these pictures was a very talented person, very creative for the time.

Here is a random picture for you to look at.

Right now I'm not sure who this is.The time stamp on the side says Aug. 73.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend. I hope it is a dry one. We have had enough rain for awhile.
Before I go, if you are still have trouble leaving comments here, if you would like you can find me on Facebook. Just look for a Sandy Neuman, that's me.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment