Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Nellie Currier: May 5, 1928 Manchester, N.H.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was quiet. In other parts Mother Nature has been doing a lot of big things.
Oh well, the next letter from Nellie is a long one, 8 pages plus a message on the envelope and a picture:









 As always, for those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                485 Lake Shore Road,
                  Manchester,
                                    N.H.
                              5/5/28
Dear Howard:-
   I received your very
nice long letter and sure
was glad to hear from . There
was only one of the pictures
we took came out good. The
baby (Willis) and I were in it,
I don't know whether you
would like it or not. We are
going to try and get some
more taken in the near
future and if they come

                2.
out good you shall get one.
Yes, I know it is harder to say
anything on paper because
you can always explain it
better in speaking it. Yes,
well Hazel likes Tom's letters
pretty well too I guess. Ha, Ha.
We are having some peachie
weather over here in
Manchester and I hope it
stays so as I hate to have it
I am. I hope when this
letter of mine reaches
you, the sun will be shinning

           3.
very nice and bright. Your
car must be quite old, isn't it?
But never mind it gets you
there just the same.Ha, Ha.
You must be pretty careful
with it if you've never been
in a ditch with it. I sup-
pose you help Thomas quite
a bit fixing up his house
and farm, when you are not
away working. I suppose
when your future wife makes
her "egg-money", you will collect
all of it won't you or do you
have enough money without

               4.
it? I think a farmer is just
as good as anyone else and
sometimes better. Ha, Ha.
Was that your nice strong
looking horse in that picture
with the FARMER? Gee, Howard,
you must have a swell
farm if all your money goes
on it. There sure is a very
nice view out there anyway
I could tell by the picture.
Then by your letter, Howard,
you must be a Swed.
What makes you think

           5.
that I would want to
stay out there the whole
year 'round?
I am sending you back
the joke and think it
sure is a good one. I am
enclosing my awful photo
to you and you can see my
girl friends baby. By the
way Howard don't let this
picture frighten you because
you would never get over it

             6.
if you did. Ha, Ha. But if
you don't seem to like it
be sure and return it
won't you? The baby doesn't
look much like Willis (the
baby). But maybe the
next ones I take will
come out better. If the camera
has strength enough to
take such a picture, maybe
that one wouldn't of come
out so good only Willis was

              7.
there with me at the time.
I am closing now
and if you don't HATE my
picture be sure and write
to me again won't you?
     I remain as a friend
       Miss Nellie Currier
       485 Lake Shore Rd
            Manchester
                N.H.
P.S. if you know any more
jokes or stories send them
to me and maybe I can

             8.
send you some of mine, Ha, Ha.
I know some good ones too.
           Bye-Bye.
Don't get to frightened
because I want to hear
from you again.
      Ha, Ha.
    from a friend who
thinks of you
         N.C.

( written on the inside of the envelope flap)
Apples are good
But peaches are better.
And if you don't hate my photo
Please ans. my letter.

Another thing written on the envelope were these letters;
S.Y.I.M.D.T.N.
Which I think stands for: See you in my dreams to-night.
There were some more letters but they are half gone. Someone ( Uncle Peter) took the stamp. He collected them.
Here is the picture that was included:

To me that is not a frightening picture. She looks like a very nice girl.

Is was a very nice, long letter. She was doing her best to get to know him.
He must have told her he was helping Thomas fix up his house.
I suppose when he told some of the girls about working on a house he gave each girl a different version of this.
She did get one thing right about Grandpa's wife, she did sell eggs. I always looked forward to going to their house in the spring when they had a bunch a baby chicks. Plus there would be a hen that they let hatch out it's own babies.

Here are two more viewer cards from the Fun With Friends set:

I wonder who the letter was from that she was reading.

It must have been a good letter because she does not see her friends sneaking up on her.
I wonder if I will ever find out who took these pictures and put them together. They are amazing for that time period.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment