Friday, August 26, 2016

Mary Mattingly: May 6, 1928 Willisburg, Ky.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was quiet as usual. I'm looking forward for the weekend to a point. I do not have to work but it could rain during half of it.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary Mattingly. It is another hard one to read and figuring out what she was trying to say, So bare with me.


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                   Willisburg Ky
                      May 6 1928
Dear Friend Howard
Received your letter yesterday
and will answer now this.
Sunday afternoon it is
a pretty day we have had
Some fine weather the last
week most of people are
done planting corn just I
own the farm but I don't
live on it I live with
my mother and brother my
sisters are married I am
the youngest child is
your Brother younger
than you will it would
been nice if you had
a sister to keep house
for you will I guess you

             2.
have your grain should
bring this time I bake so
I would be pleased to
get a picture of your
farm I love to get
letters and pictures
I don't live on the
road and I get awful
lonesome sometimes I
usually go to town Saturday
a four noon and you never
was in Kentucky was you
I just you wouldn't like
hear do you thank you would
I have never lived in
any other country I don't
know where I would like
Please answer soon
from your friend
Mary Mattingly

I did my best to write what I think she wanted to say. Her spelling is so bad I would like to say I am sorry if I got things wrong.
I'm pretty sure she was Swedish.The spelling of a lot of the words tells me that might be the reason things are spelled the way they are.
She is a farm girl so she would be a hard worker, I think.
I'm not sure right now if there are any pictures of her.

Here are three more cards from the Fun with Friends set that tells a little story:




These are very faded. I did my best to get them darker so they could be seen better.
The things that are colored in these pictures, were colored by hand.
Do you think they add to the pictures? They do make things pop a little more.
The last one are the names of the people in these pictures.
I wish I knew who took these pictures. For that time, they had an eye for fun.
It proves you could smile in these kind of pictures.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

This is my Aunt Jeanie.I'm not sure what year this was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment