Friday, August 5, 2016

Sigrid Niemela: April 28, 1928 Mt. Iron, Minn.

Dear Friends,
How was your week? Mine was uneventful. There were a couple of day where we got rain, again. This is a very wet year. I wonder what the fall and winter will be like around here.
Here is the next letter from Sigrid:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Mt. Iron, Minn
                 Apr. 28, 1928
Dear Friends,
  Thanks for the letter
and such a wonder-
fully long one yet.
And also thanks for
the pictures. You surely
are going to have
a nice house, when
it gets done it'll be
beautiful I'm sure.
Dosen't it cost trem-
endously now-a-days to
build? it's wise I
think too, just to fix
up and pay for it  little
at a time instead then of
going into deep debts.
Anybody would get lone-

some in such a big
house alone, even
scary I think. How
have you fixed your
rooms? Plastered, papered
or what. Are you
putting hardwood
floors? I think they
are pretty when var-
nished nice. Gosh
why do we have to
live so far apart
that it's hard for
either of us to see
the other ever. I've
been here all my life
and would just love
to have a change
of atmosphere already.
Do you live far

             2.
from town? Are the
roads good up there?
I too like radio's but
we haven't any in
our house. We even
haven't got a phono-
graph, imagine! Have
a lot of records?
I'll send you a
picture, although it's
not much of one. It
was taken in our
park on a bright, bright
day. One couldn't even
keep your eyes open
hardly. I'm afraid
you'll be disappointed
terribly when you see

it, for all your visions
of me will go to sh-
atters, for I'm far from
the good looking type.
I'm not able to write
such nice long letters
as you wrote, Does
your hired girl know
about these letters, But
maybe you get many
more, that are more
interesting too.
Will have to close
now and "lay me
down to sleep" as it's
eleven already.
              Sincerely,
                  Sigrid

It sounds like Grandpa was in the process of building the home place. I wonder how long it took to get it built. As for what was on the walls, there was some plaster and some wall paper. And the floors were hardwood.
I don't know who the hired girls was. I suppose she kept the house clean and cooked his and Thomas's  meals. I might have to asked my dad to see if he knew who helped around the house before he finally met and married Grandma.
I wonder how much it cost him to build it?
I wonder how long it took her to get a radio or a phonograph? It must have been a very quiet place to live.
So many questions that will never be answered.

Here are two more viewer cards from the Childhood Fun set:

 The Hunters Talking Over the Day's Sport.
Weary Hunters.

A couple more pictures of the young hunter with his best hunting friend. It looked like the best kind of day the two spent together. So go hug your best hunting partner.

Here is a random picture for you to look at.

This a picture of the home place. I don't know what year it was taken.This is the house that Howard built.
I know I showed you a different house last time. That house, I don't know where it was.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend. I think the weather around here is suppose to be just right.
So don't forget to come back real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment