Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Sigrid Niemela: May 13, 1928 Mt. Iron, Minn.

Dear Friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was quiet. I did have to work on Saturday so my time off was a little shorter. The weather started out wet and then got cooler but the sun was shinning by the end of the day.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Sigrid:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Mt. Iron, Minn.
                    May 13, 1928
Dear friend,
Received your
letter for which ever
so many thanks. I
feel rather tired now
so I'll just write a
short letter. I've been
out all afternoon.
We started at 12 and
motored to a farm
about 30 miles off and
come back at 7. I think
this spring wind
and warmth make
one feel so tired and
today it's looked like
rain all day but it
hasn't showered yet.

We need it badly. My
goodness, the roads
were dusty. Pity any-
one walking with
cars going past.
  Saturday we planted
a little bit potatoes
even if it is early.
I had to drive the
horse and it was
hard at first because
I've never driven one
But at the end it
started to go alright.
I don't think I'd make
a very good wife
for a farmer lad.
I'm so dumb at every-
thing and never
too much interest
in such work even

         2.
if I have worked
some.
You sure do get up
early, what on earth
do you do so early
in the morning?
I usually get up at
6:30 or 7 am. I think that's
plenty early enough. I
seldom go to bed before
10 in the evenings either.
 No, of course not. Why
should I be sore at
you. You write how
you feel & I, how I
do.
I'm glad we're getting
warmer days so one

can go to the lakes
soon. I'm not much
of a swimmer but
I like to go there
anyhow. it's so much
fun to lunch out,
and enjoy a regular
picnic.
Must close now
and close my eyes
too, they nearly are
already, for that matter
                As ever,
                   Sigrid


Is sounds like it was a kind of dry time for upper Minnesota. At least where she lived.
Her comment about people walking while cars are going by, is something I have deal with when I go for a walk. Somethings never change.
From her comment last letter Grandpa must have thought she was not happy with the way he wrote to her. I think she was a kind of matter the fact kind of person. She was not the kind of person who sugar coated things.
As for going to a lake to picnic, that sounds like fun. For me, I am a swimmer. I would be spending more time in the water then out of it.

Here are two more viewer cards from the Fun with Friends set:



I had to darken these pictures because they are more faded.
I wonder who the baby is that is being handed off in the first picture.
In the second picture, why does the woman on the right side have a board? Is it her oar?
The third are the names of the women in this picture.
I wonder where on the Wolf River this was taken?

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

This is Selma. Taken July 4, 1938
Selma was married to Grandpa's brother.

Well that's about all I have to say today.
I hope you will come back again for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment