Friday, August 19, 2016

Sigrid Niemela: May 6, 1928 Mt. Iron, Minn.

Dear Friends,
The week is almost over. I say almost because I'll be working on Saturday for 6 and a quarter hours. I decided that I would start working every other Saturday for awhile when it is offered. A little extra money does not hurt either.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Sigrid:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

              Mt. Iron, Minn.
                May 6, 1928
My dear friend,
  Received you letter
for which thanks.
I just came home
and as I'm not a
bit sleepy I thought
I'll write to you. The
neighbors asked me
to come out riding
with them. But to
my nation it isn't
much fun riding out
on a Sunday night,
There's so terribly many
cars on the pavement
that one has to just
watch where you
drive & can't enjoy

the scenery or any-
thing. I just love car
rides tho' I bet if
we had a car I'd
use more gas than
I was able to pay for.
We are having such
wonderful evenings
now too, a full moon
and so warm compared
to what it's been.
Gosh, I didn't even
see that operetta. I
was waiting for some
promised company
and they didn't even
come so I missed
everything. My luck
as usual. And every-
body said it was

         2.
real good too.
No my mother cert-
ainly doesn't know I
write to you, nor does
anybody else either.
Mother is awfully strict
too, especially about
me I guess because I
don't stay home on the
farm, but here in
town. Gosh, they must
think I'm a baby yet.
I see you will be
pretty busy all summer
too. It looks the same
for me. My work is
doubled & tripled in
some places, now that

Grandpa is ill. he
seems to be going slowly
down, instead of better.
I don't know then how
long he'll last. It cuts
off so many of my
few amusements etc.
but it can't be helped.
Good gracious, I've
even forgot to thank
you for the beautiful
birthday card you sent.
I've been looking for
a card to send to
mother for Mother's Day
but they haven't any
here, yet anyhow I was
going to make her
something but haven't
had time now.

           3.
This letter is stretching
out to such length
that you'll probably
have to get glasses before
you're through.
Do you believe in
love Howard? How
do you know if you
love me really truly
when you haven't
ever seen me even.
What if I'm an awful
cranky, hot tempered
snob for all you
know & I'm sure you
wouldn't be happy
ever with such a
mate, who is supposed


to live forever on with
you then. I love
you as a friend Howard
but as yet I can't
tell you otherwise.
Maybe some day! One
can never tell.
If you get lonesome
when you look at my
funny picture don't
do it, for I don't want
you to be lonesome
anymore.
I must close
now. Lets hear from
you soon again.
            Sincerely
              Sigrid
P.S. It isn't quite my right
name even, but I hate
my real one.

Not her right name? I'm not sure if she will share her real name in a future letter or not.
I think she sound like a very strong girl. Someone who was not afraid to protect herself from the wrong people. I'm not sure if she did send a picture or not. At least there is not a picture in a letter from her yet.
I wonder how long her Grandpa lasted.
I wonder how close of tabs her mother kept on her?
Did she ever find the right man for her?
What is her real name?
Was Grandpa telling all the girls he loved them or did his letters just sound to mushy?
Will any of these questions ever get answered?

Here are three more viewer cards from the "Fun With Friends" set. They tell a little story I think you will enjoy.




Whoever this group of friends were, they certainly had a lot of fun.
In the third picture next to the little girl is a dog. Must have sneaked into the picture.
If anyone knows who these people are I would love to know something about them.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

No idea who this is or when it was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment