Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Harriet: Jul 16, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was great. I can finally say, I'm going to be a Grandma. I have known for about two weeks but my daughter wanted me to wait to say anything until she had an ultrasound.
She is due June 6th, or there about. You know babies, they arrive on their time not yours.
The weather was very warm around here. Short sleeves and it's the beginning of November. There use to be snow on the ground years ago. The weather to me is a month behind itself.
Anyway, here is a letter from Harriet. She didn't sign her last name. Maybe sometime in the future it will appear:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

            Chicago Ill
             Sunday Afternoon
Dear Howard
Well I promised to
write and as I always
keep my promises here
it goes.
We arrived O.K. at
9 o'clock this morning
Didn't sleep a wink
all night so you
can imagine how sleepy

we are-- and (how)
Well where did you go after
you left me Sat. night
That That will be telling eh:
Hope you don't cheat on me
you just better not ha! ha!
We just had dinner
so after I finish this letter
I am going to bed and
sleep all afternoon.
So you see what a good
girl I am._______ No kidding
And to-night I am
going to  a good show
Suppose you will be
going to Punberg's to-night
Wish that I could go
with you Well have to
miss one good time eh-
I saw Clarence & Otto at
Westboro before we left-

Well dear I haven't any news
at all & guess I will sign
off until next time. And don't
forget to send me Walter's address
& your picture
So will close with
heaps of " love & kisses"
               Harriet
                    5517 School St.
                          Chicago
Ans soon
SWMK
xxx

It sounds like Grandpa and Harriet were hanging out together, but where exactly were they? She might have be up here and now was in Chicago.
It kind of sounds like she wanted to write to Walter. I wonder how she knew him.
Not to much here, maybe in a future letter she will say more.

Here are the next two viewer cards from the "Panama 1906" set:

 9. Interior Fort Lorenzo, Mouth of Chagres River.
10. Getting Ready. Empire, Panama.

The first card is a fort that is no longer used.Even back in1906.

Image result for fort lorenzo panama
This is a more recent picture of the same spot.

The second is another scene of them working on I think the beginning of the construction of the Panama Canal.

On November 7th, my parents celebrated their 57th anniversary.
  If you see this couple congratulate them.

Well that's about all I have to say today. Maybe next time I will comment on the election results, maybe.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment