Friday, November 18, 2016

Harriet: July 24, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Another week done. This weekend in Wisconsin is the start of Deer gun season. Right now this has been the warmest November I can think of. This will be a harder hunting season because there is no snow on the ground. Water is not even frozen. The first shot deer hear and they will heading to the swamps. They will also have an easier time hiding in plain sight also.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Chicago, Illinois
                 Monday Eve.
Dearest Howard
Received your dear
letter and it certainly
cheered me up to hear
from you.
How's the world
treating you now days
It treating me fine
and dandy as ever
Oh boy have we
had some hot weather
and I don't mean
maybe either.
Sure did think so
when I am working
of course I am to ambitious

          -2-
That's me you know.
What's all the news
around Ogema any-
thing special happened
ha! ha!
You have to excuse
my writing with pencil
but the pen went
on a strike ( oh that's
that)
You asked me if
I had heard any
new jokes. Well yes
I have heard of
few but am bashful
to tell (em) ha! ha!
You know me don't you

      -3-
Gee I am dead tired
to-night from hard
working poor me ha! ha!
I have been out
visiting all week so
am i going to bed
early to-night (and how)
Margret told me
to tell you hello from
her
She is working at
the same place as
I am.
Thanks very much
for the pictures you
sent me. They were
very good of you

Well dear I haven't
any news in particular
So I better sign off my
broadcasting labor
So will close with
Hope & love & kisses
       Your Sweetie
             Harriet.
   S.W.A.K
 xxxx
Answer immediately
    Please.

A few of the words I was not sure of so I'm pretty sure I got them wrong.
Not a whole lot to comment on.
It sounds like Grandpa was always looking for a new joke. Plus I think he liked to tell jokes.
I just might have to find a few jokes to share from the joke book.

 Here are the next viewer cards from the "Panama 1906" set:

 15. Steam Shovel in Cut, Bas Obispo, Panama.
16. French Machinery in Fill, Pedro Miguel.

These two are showing views of the work going on at the beginning of the construction of the Panama  Canal.
I'm trying to figure out what the French machine is doing.

Here is a page from the joke book:
I thought since someone is always talking about jokes I'd show you a a whole page. Enjoy.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

No idea who they are or when it was taken. But it was taken by Rash at Appleton, Wis.

Well that's about all I have to share with you this time.
Remember if you are a hunter, have a safe and successful hunt.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment