Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Helen Balusik: July 2, 1928 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good Halloween Weekend. Mine was good. Yesterday I had the day off. I was planning on just staying home and doing a few things and just relax but, it didn't happen that way. The husband also took the day off and he decided we should go for a drive. You know just one of those hop and the car and go. No real destination for sure. Just stop and look at things you never stop at before.The weather could have been warmer and not so windy but it was a good trip.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                     Evanston, Ill.
                      July 2-28
Dear Howard:
   It's really a shame how long
it takes me before I answer a
letter sometimes but everybody
is busy this time of the year,
aren't they Howard? I know you
are swamped with work out
there alright.
So many of my friends left for
the country that I feel I am
almost alone here. It won't
be long I will be leaving myself
if I suddenly don't change
my mind.
   Last night I went with a
girl down to the depot she takes
the same train as I do. I
sure will miss her because
we use to be such great pals.
  I can hear fire crackers
all day yesterday & today. They
think one day isn't enough
for celebrating.

            2
I suppose you have lot going on
up there for the 4th don't you?
I am off, but don't know what
I'll do yet. Usually is so hot
around that turns that a person
hardly cares to be out.
Yesterday certainly was a hot
day here today. We had a
big thunderstorm so it sort of
cooled it off a bit.
Well, Howard it seams I can't
think what to write in my
letters anymore. I guess I had
better wait & tell you everything
when I see you eh? Everybody
tells me I am bashful so I
thought I better tell you so you
won't be shocked about it. How
about you are you a bashful boy or not?
I will have to say goodbye
Now & be good boy
            Write again
In haste      Sincerely
                     Helen

 Not a a lot to comment on. A number of the people she knew were heading to the country for the summer but she has not left yet.
As for Grandpa being bashful, not that I know of. He was a matter of fact kind of person that I can remember of.

Here are the next two viewer cards from the "Panama 1906" set:

 5. The Point and Islands, From South Bay, Anon.
6. Looking North in Culebra Cut, Panama.

The second picture was taken during the construction of the Panama Canal.
I kind of wish this set was in color so it would pop more when you looked at it.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

I think this was taken during someones class trip. This might be a ferry they took out to the Statue of Liberty or something like that.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a great week. It's suppose to be on the warm side around here.
Come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment