Friday, December 9, 2016

Harriet: Aug. 8, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you stayed warm this week. That is if you live near me in Wisconsin. Winter is finally here to stay. I'm not crazy about the freezing temps and below 0 wind chills. But it's just something we have to except.
Oh well, here is the next letter from Harriet. It's a long one plus a few jokes:








As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

              Chicago Ill
              August 8, 1928
Dear Howard
Received your darling
letter and sure was
glad to hear from
you again.
Yes we having some
hot weather and I
don't mean maybe.
I almost wasted to-
day down at work.
Suppose it is nice
and cool up there at
(Ogema) tho.
I heard that Ruth
and Freda are home
Have you seen

         2
any of them yet
Suppose you live by
now ha! ha!
By the way your
Cousin (Walter) called
me Friday night.
Sure was surprised
and how.
I'm going out with
him some night this
week. Then I can
hit Clarence off ha! ha!
Of course that doesn't
worry me a bit.
Sure am anxious
to meet Walter tho.
Will tell you all
about it in
my next letter.
i mean how I
like him. Don't take

              3.
me wrong ha--
Have you been
to any of the dances
lately. Suppose they
are going as strong
as ever.
I went to one last
Wed. had a wonderful
time. The Co. I am
working for is giving
one this coming
Saturday.
Wish you was here
dear so you could
come along.
That would be O.K.
 wouldn't it-

           4.
Oh well just wait
until next summer
h
Have you heard
from Mabel lately--
I met a cute shiek
on the train when
I came down and
oh am I having a
time between him
and Clarence ha!
Think I got fun ha!
What get heck
from the telephone and
who do you suppose
called but Walter
again.
That's going some
isn't it-
Well what's all

         5
the news up
around there.
Have you seen
anything of Violet N.
I had a permanent
last night so oh you
wouldn't know one
if you saw me ha!
Will have my
picture taken and
send you one dearie
Still news  is
rather scarce of course
there's plenty there
nothing that you
would know or
interest you

So think I will sign
off and I am going to
Riverview Park with
some girl friends
With hug ( love & kisses
           Your girlfriend
                Harriet
P.S. Be sure and                 SWAK xx
answer immediately

Here are a few of the
jokes I heard--
1. What does a new
born baby owe her
mother?
(ans.) a nine months rent.
2. How is a baby made?
ans. Two bodies and a
connecting rod-
       -3-
There was a butcher
and every nite night
before he le close up
he sprinkled saw dust

on the floor and every
morning he found foot
prints so got excited
and decided to stay awake
one night-
So about two o'clock his
daughter comes in the
butcher shop goes up to
where the sausages were
The next day a lady
comes in and wanted to
buy sausage but he said he
hadn't any. She saw the
one and said Why there
is one hanging there
Oh yes he said but
that's my. (Son-in law)
Tell me some
next time-

 Now that was a letter. It sounds like she did go out with Walter. I wonder how often they went out?
I liked the jokes. I don't think she was very good at writing the long ones out the way they should have been. I did have fun at work telling them at work today. Everyone liked the one with the butcher. That one was my favorite too.
I wonder what Grandpa told her about Mabel? Or did she know her?
Just more things that have faded away never to be known again.

Here are the next two viewer cards from the "Jamaica 1907" set:

 3. Panoramic view of the City of Kingston and the Blue Mountains in the distance.
4. Birdseye view of Kingston and the harbor.

Here is what the harbor looks like today:

Image result for kingston jamaica

I wish the cards I have were in color. It would be a lot easier to see the damage that had happened back then.
I wonder if Jamaica has many earthquakes these days?

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

I just reached in to one of the boxes and pulled this one out. Not sure when it was taken or what year this car is. I'm no car person when it comes to knowing when a car was built. I know a number of people will know right away.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend and stay warm.
And don't forget to come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment