Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Mabel Elmblade: Aug. 6, 1928 La Grange Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine, was four days long. I had Friday and Monday off. The reason is it was my wedding anniversary. I've been married for 34 years.Who'd have thunk it. The weather is finally matching the time of year. There is finally snow on the ground that I think is here to stay for awhile. Along with the cold temps.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mabel:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

La Grange August 1928
Dearest Howard.
I will now answer your
most loving letter. Sure
was more then glad to
hear from you. We have
rainy weather and cool.
We had company today.
Dad is 83 and mother
is 57. You sure have
a wonderful handwriting
- I have a brother named
Carl. he sure is a good boy
very good to mother he
and mother was talking
about religion. today it
sure is a wonderful thing
God has blessed me so
wonderful I just can't ex
-plain it. I have been
healed twice I had-
neuritis. and a bad sick
spell didn't think I would
live. But thank god I did
What month were you
born in. write me next
time you write. please

           2
as I'm interested in you
it means a lot to have
a Christian Boy friend.
Because we can defend
on god then. for the rest
I have a nice brother
in law also. He's name
is George. they have 1
girl, She's so sweet.
if it's god's will we
will get married some
day. From your-
Picture I feel I love you
dearest. You have a
kind and loving look.
Well I'm still thinking
of you. Love and hope
the same by you. if
you were only here. I
would be glad. hope for
the future. well Bye Bye
        xxx Dearest
   xxxxxxxx Howard
   your
affectionate Mabel
   Write soon
LOVE.
YOU.

I wonder what kind of picture he sent to her that she fell in love with him. So at least was trying to convince herself that she was. She wanted to marry a good Christian boy. I hope she was able to find the one that was best for her.

The next set of viewer cards are of an earthquake that happen in Jamaica in 1907.
It happened on Monday Jan 14, 1907 about 3:30 pm local time. At that time it was considered one of the deadliest. About 800 to 1000 people died. A tsunami followed with maximum waves of 6 to 8 feet.
A passenger ship, The Port Kingston, was used as a make shift hospital.

 1. Panorama of Kingston looking to the north.
 2. A view of Kingston from the Royal Mall Pier.

I'm not sure I ever heard about this quake or not. I wonder where this quake is ranked to this date as a disaster.
This is one set that I wish it was colored so that some things would pop out even more.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

The date at the bottom says it was developed May '58. Not sure who they all are or why they look like they are all trying to get to the car as fast as they can. Maybe someone will tell me what could have been going on. Or maybe not.

That's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment