Friday, December 23, 2016

Helen Balusik: Aug. 20, 1928 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
It's almost time to celebrate Christmas. Are you ready? I'm as ready as I'm going to be.
Here is the next letter from Helen:



 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                           Phillips, Wis.
                          Aug. 18-28
Dear Howard:
    I guess you think I am
a good one not writing so
long but I will explain all
the trouble to you sometime
not in this letter because
we are having company
from the city & it is pretty
hard to do all my writing
while they are not around.
I sure am enjoying my
vacation- Had so many
parties & different things
going on.
  How have you been Howard
since I heard from you
last. I often read your
letters over they always were
so interesting!
Anna Novy is going to
Ogema tomorrow to see
her friends & sisters.
  One of my girl friends

             2
are going to teach somewhere
near Westboro this year. So
I might get a chance to
go up to see her sometime in
the fall.
I can smell the dinner
cooking, it sure tastes good
or will taste I mean.
My nrother works in
a cheese factory all spring
& summer. He likes it there.
One day some of us went
and watched how the cheese
is made it sure is interesting.
Well Howard, I better not
write much for I may not
get an answer--")
  My father is busy cutting
Oats, we have our hay all
in- Us girls had quite a
time helping with it. You
know how strong the girls
are.
I sometimes feel blue
for the city but still it's

grand out here, and besides
be your own boss.
Well Howard, I must
leave you now and write
some other time.
I'm hoping you answer &
forgive my delay in
answering your nice letter
I got the last time.
Anna N. sends her regards
to you.
        Bye Bye Howard.
           Lovingly
              Helen Balusik
                 Phillips, Wis
                    Route 1, BX 75

Well it looks like Helen finally got herself to Phillips. I wonder how long she was there before she finally wrote and if I have the letters in the right order.
I wonder which cheese plant her brother worked at?
It is interesting  watching cheese be made.
I do work with cheese. But the cheese comes from different plants already made. We just cut it or slice it or shred it and put it in the right package for different companies. So I know all about that part of it.
I wonder how much hay her and the other girls helped with.
At least it sounds like she had a good time while she was home.
Grandpa must have wrote some letters if she often reread them. Every time I read this I wish I could see what he wrote so I could see for myself.

Here are the next two viewer cards from the "Jamaica 1907" set:

 11. Wreck of the Supreme Court Building, Kingston.
12. Ruins and surrounding devastation of the Hotel.

I'm sure both of these building had to be totally torn down and rebuilt.
If you notice in the first one at least one person is standing on the second floor.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

Since it is Christmas time. I thought I would share a picture of me and my siblings.
I'm the one on the right.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.
Don't forget to drop by again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment