Friday, December 2, 2016

Cousin Walter: Aug 6, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
It's hard to believe it's the beginning of December. Where has the year gone? With now snow on the ground it does not feel like it should be almost time for Christmas. The grass is still green also. It feels like it's should be spring and not winter. Maybe by the end of the month Mother nature will get her act together and give us a little bit more winter.
Oh well, the next letter is from Walter. It's been awhile since there has been a letter from him.


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                     Chicago, Ill.
                      Aug 5, 1928
Dear Howard:
                 Yours received the
other day with thanks.
                   First of all I would
like to get an idea of just
what kind of a set you want.
Personally I would get a
 second hand set as the old
style battery sets are rather cheap
now. Some evening this week
I'll go out and price a few.
Do you want tubes and B Battery?
Let me know and I'll get a
price some where as there are
thousands of these sets on the
market.
        Called Harriet
up last night and kidded her
along for a while. Guess I'll
take her out some night
this week. She'd better be nice
or I'll crown you. (Ha!) if
she is nice she won't be that
way long if I take her out

a few times.
                Have had some swell
times this year. I often
wonder how you would enjoy
yourself at some of the road
houses and cabarets that we
go to. I'll bet you'd never want
to see the farm again. They
say prohibition is in effect
but one can dine drink and
dance to your hearts content.
Why not drive down some time
I'd go outside the city and
meet you.
          How is Pa getting
along. Tell him hello for me.
     Let me know more
defiantly what you want and
I'll certainly get it for you
                         Your Cousin
                              Walter

I wonder if he and Harriet got together and how did they get along?
I wonder if the battery he was taking about was for a car or for something else?
I like what he says about prohibition. It sounds like not to many people really paid much attention to the law. I think they knew it would never stick.
I wonder if Grandpa ever went down there to hang out with Walter?
Did he go to any road houses or cabarets?
Just more history that has already faded away.

Here are the final three viewer cards from the "Panama 1906" set:

 23. The Grand Cathedral at Panama.
 24. Street in Old Gorgona, Panama Canal Zone.
25. Buildings in Process of Construction and Zone Police, Cristobal, Panama.

The Grand Cathedral is still there and looks like it did back then.
Image result for grand cathedral panama

I was trying to find similar scene's for the other two but, I could not find one that would pass as the same or the end result.
Well that's the end of this set. I have two more sets to show you. I just have to decide which one to show first.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

 No idea who they are or when it was taken.
To me they are just the guys hanging out.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment