Friday, December 15, 2017

Edna: Dec. 29, 1931 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well it's the end of yet another week. For me it was a quiet one. No drama. I will say where I work, it is colder then I like. My feet are still cold. I know it is cold outside so what the real problem. I like to have warm feet while I'm working.
Oh  well, enough whining, here is the next letter from Edna aka Eddie:




 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what is says:

                   December 28, 1931
Dear friend Howard-
Well, this is the ? letter
I have started to you. Hope
I will be able to finish
this one.
Thanks a lot for your lovely
Christmas card. I certainly
was well remembered with
both cards and lovely girts.
Would you like to hear what
I got? == 3 pair of hose, a
pair of gloves, some undies,
some money, perfume, pearls,
a photograph from Gladys
of herself, one hankie, pajamas,
2 scarfs, a 5 lb. box of candy
from our president, (as usual),
$10 check from boys in office.

We had our annual Christmas
party the 19th at the Blackstone
Hotel. Had a lovely suite of
rooms and had the nicest
party we have ever had.
We sure had one grand time.
I got home and got ready
for another party in evening.
Had another grand time.
Christmas Eve. we (Linnea
and I) went down to my aunt's.
We wanted to go to "Yulatta" and
if we were to go all the way
from our place to church that
hour of the morning, I'm
afraid we wouldn't have
managed. Well, we went to
Yulatta at 4:00. We left
my aunts at about 11 o'clock
as we were invited to dinner
at 2 o'clock at Gladys Holm's
in Rodger Park. We were
18 for dinner and a couple

             -2-
more for supper. I never
saw so much food. It
certainly was delicious.
We had a wonderful time,
as usual. I always have
such a lovely time up there.
Christmas Eve. before leav-
ing for the south side I
called Dad long distance.
I hadn't had a minute to
write him and I just had
to talk to him. I felt so
much better after talking
to him. I was so sorry we
couldn't manage to go home,
but it would have cost
L & I about $40.00, and as
she isn't working it was
impossible to make it. I was
glad, tho,we could talk to
him.

Well, it is almost time to go home
now and Linnea and I are in-
vited to a girls house for the
evening, so must ring off.
Hope you boys had as
nice a Christmas as I did.
       Happy New Year to you,
             Eddie

I sounds like she had a very good Christmas. I wonder who gave her what gifts?
She was doing a lot of partying.
I was trying to find out what Yulatta was. But I can't find out what is is. Maybe someone else will be able to find out the meaning of it.
I am glad she was finally able to talk to her Dad.
I do wonder how long it took Linnea to find a job. I know it was not a good time for many back then.
This is the last letter from 1931.

Here is a picture from the scrap book 1936:

The possibility that King Edward VIII of England may marry
was indicated Wednesday in his request to the house of com-
mons for more money. A royal message said "his majesty desires
that the contingency of his marriage should be taken into ac-
count..." This picture of him was made last December by the
court photographer and shows him in the dress uniform of an
admiral.

He looks like a very good looking man for his time.

Here are few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally, here is a random picture:

I pretty sure this is my cousin Billy. Not sure how old he is here.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
Have a good weekend and don't forget to come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment