Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Gladys: August 6, 1931 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I don't know about where you live but around here is was warm for the beginning of December. But now the weather is about to change and start to feel like it should for this time of year. We were able to visit our granddaughter Lilly on Saturday. And on Sunday the husband and I were putting more wood in the basement and also cutting a log pile up for later cutting down. I think we are almost ready. There is a possibility that the husband may have to have something done with his foot that could leave him laid up for a while. I'll keep you posted on that later. Also on Monday it was our 35th wedding anniversary.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Thursday
Dear Howard:-
I just want to let you
know that the book arrived
thank you so much.
My patient & I were
at St. Charles Ill. for a
few days & when I got
home I found your
book. That is the reason
I have not let you know
before.
I hear from E & L
that you & Tom are
fine as ever & I hear
from Dad that you
have a bran new
house keeper. Which

must make things
easier for you & Tom.
I am sure Miss Avery
& I shall enjoy Star
Eye as much as I ever
enjoyed it before. You
know I read it twice
already but Howard this
is not the same book
you used to have is it.
It seems to me your
book had 1 or more pictures
either on the cover or in
side the book. Or is my
memory bad. well any
way I'll return it as soon
as we finish & thanks
again with best wishes
to you & Tom. I am
as always your friend
                         Gladys
Here are the stamps
                   book.

 This letter and the last one were written on 3 by 5 cards.
It sounds like Grandpa sent her a copy of the book, "Star Eye".

Image result for star eye book

I was still trying to find out what the story is but all I can find is it for sale. If you have $500 dollars it can be yours. All I can say is it must have been a very good book.
As for the stamps she mentioned, nothing else was in the envelope.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

Members of the rescue party are shown descending into the hole which led to the hut in which Lincoln Ellsworth and Herbert Hollick-Kenyon lived for a month after a flight across Antarctica.- A.P. Wirephoto.

This has to do with the picture a showed you a couple of posts ago.
I guess it's a story that should have more to it. But who ever put this scrap book together only kept mostly pictures.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally a random picture:

No idea who they are or when it was taken.

Well, that's all I have for you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment