Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Edna: Nov. 20, 1931 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope your weekend was not too bad. I know there is snow to the south, where it is rare for them to have more then we do here. And in California, where people are loses their homes because of the huge wild fires. The only question I want to ask is how these fires started? Mine here was on the quiet side.It is colder then I like but that is to be expected this time of year.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Edna aka Eddie:




As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

(written upside down on the top)
Excuse this stationery please
                           Nov. 19, 1931
Dear friend Howard:-
Well, here is the letter I promised to
be so prompt about sending. Well,
don't think this is the first and only
letter I have written to you. I have
written several, but have found them
several days later, discovering there by
that I had neglected to send them.
Pardon me, won't you?
Did Dad give you my message?
You asked him to find out from
me if I lost a compact in your
car last summer. I did not, as
far as I can figure out, so it
must be some other "dame". It
was nice of you to inquire anyway.
Well, we have been horseback riding
several times this fall. I usually
go with Gladys Holm and some
other girls. Last Sunday we went.
Linnea went also, but we

certainly enjoyed it a lot. Linnea
is not working. She has been
home now for about a month or
possibly a little longer. She has
registered tho' at several agencies, but
there just doesn't seem to be any
jobs in this berg-- or any other,
for that matter. I certainly am
glad I still have mine, and they
say there will not be any lay-offs
in our office either. They fired one
girl a couple of months ago, but
that was because  she didn't care
to work very much. They got one
we used to have a couple of years
ago. We have not as yet received
a cut either. That sure is a
rare thing these days. The rest of
my girl friends have all gotten
cuts several different times. I
must consider myself lucky, that's
all.
Well, it is almost Thanksgiving.
Gee! I would love to come
home & cook dinner for Dad
and the boys, but of course
that can't be done. I can't
afford that.

                 -2-
I am going to a stage show tomorrow
night. I'm going to see "The Unexpected
Husband". They say it is a scream.
Next week I am going to see
"Blossom Time" at the Grand opera
House. I have seen it 3 times
already, but I love it.
It has been real warm here.
Almost like summer, altho' we
have had quite a lot of rain.
Today, however it has been cooler.
A heavy coat was much appreciated.
Somebody I know just came
back from a hunting trip up in
Maine. He was with eight other
fellows and they each came
back with a buck each. Pretty
nice, eh? Is this open season
up there? Um-m-m, what I
wouldn't give for a piece of
venison. He said he had lots

of fun too. He was gone two weeks.
What are you doing with your-
self? I sure have been busy. I
guess Dad was getting disgusted
with me for not writing him often.
I just couldn't do it. i stayed
at the office late almost every
evening in order to get things done.
Do you play bridge, Howard?
I have become quite interested in
it suddenly. A week ago last
Sunday I was invited to a bridge
party= 18 of us girls. We sure
had fun. Then the Tuesday
following I had Gladys H & her
girl friend(she rides with us) over
to play bridge. We certainly had
fun. Last Sunday we had a couple
girl friends over for dinner and
then we played bridge. We then
walked 22 blocks with them. It
was such a lovely evening.
Well, please forgive me for
being so slow in answering. Will
try to do better next time.
                      As B/4
                         Eddie
P.S. L. says hello.

It sounds like she has a habit of misplacing things, like letters. I wonder if it was the truth of an excuse.
I wonder how long she hung out with Gladys Holm?
As for the play "The Unexpected Husband". I could not find any info on it except it only played for a few months in New York back then.
As for the other one "Blossom Time" that she saw 3 times already before this letter.
Image result for Blossom Time play from 1931
This is what I found. It might have been an opera. I think it was about a nineteenth century Vienna composer Franz Schubert assisting a girl he is secretly in love with. But I could be wrong, but it is the only thing I found about it.
It sounds like she also found an enjoyment in playing bridge. That's a game I never learned. I have no interest in it.
I wonder if Grandpa found out who the compact belonged to.
It sounds like hunting in Maine back then was very good.

Anyway, here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

  An ice jam at N. Forty-second and W. Mount Vernon av. Tuesday afternoon was loosened by dynamite and manual labor in time to prevent a serious flood of the Menomonee river there. The workers had plenty of advice from the crowd which gathered.- Journal Staff Photo.

It sounds like it was a big blast to watch. Can you imagine using dynamite like that today?

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

No idea who she was or when it was taken. It is a torn picture. It looks like there was someone sitting next to her. I wonder who tore it and why? The answer has faded away never to be known again.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment