Friday, December 29, 2017

Gladys: Jul. 2, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Here it is way to cold. temp that are below zero most days. Plus the wind chill, which can be 30 below in some places. Hibernation time.
Well anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:






 For those that fine it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

(upside down)
399 Fullerstom Pky
                       Chicago Ill.
                       July 1-32
Dear Howard:-
well in a few hours it will
be 2 weeks already since we
went, rainy morning you meet Eddie
& I in Westboro. Time goes too
fast. We had a most tiresome
trip back on Monday. That day
trys is horrible and there we
were annoyed by a bold creature
who pushed herself on our tired nerves

she was frightful and
we were relived to get
rid of her I can tell you
I've got into the station
at 10:45 and there we
had over an hours
ride on the street car.
up to Eddie's apt. I
went right home
with her & slept that
night. We were too
tired to eat even we
went right to bed.
& I went to work
Tuesday night again
Things are pretty hot
here these days

during our convention I just
wonder who will get in, so
far we don't know. The session
laswted all night last night.
A lady who was there came
to have dinner with my pat-
ients sister & myself this eve
& she was so all in she had to
nap awhile there at the home
before dinner.
I started to go to the Dentist
yesterday. My purse will hurt
as much as the teeth. I think by
the sounds of this estimate, but it

has to be done. So I'll
have to make the
best of it.
I am so glad Dad
is getting better. It
was great to get home
if only for a few
hours. I think by
the looks of things
now, we will be
here at Passavant
Hospital most of the
summer. It is a
lovely Hosp. so I
don't mind you may
be sure.
We are having
delightful weather
here. Nice &

cool unusual for this time
of the year in Chicago. Today
it was too cold to go out
without a coat & Oh! so very
windy.
Well Howard thanks again
for being so nice to take us
around while we were there
and do excuse my letter
paper. I have no paper with
me down here at Hosp. & I
Just thought I'd better get
busy & write you a note.

My best wishes to
you & Tom.
Eddie tells me
Gladys Holm is going
home tonight.
Cousin Irene & another
girl are staying up
with Eddie for a
couple of days. For
company as Eddie's
room mate is still on
her vacation.
      So long
        Gladys

I hope I copied it right. With all those loop-to-loop kind of writing, it kind of hard to read.
It sounds like she had a good visit with Grandpa and was able to see her Dad.
It sounds like this Gladys worked in a hospital. I wonder what her job was?
I wonder how the girl they met on the trip back was annoying. Maybe she was looking for a friendship with them and just went about it the most annoying way. Or maybe she was just nervous and when she gets nervous, she gets a little to chatty. Just say'n.
I'm a little confused about the weather. It started out hot and then got cold.
I don't think I got the spelling of the hospital right.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

The quints can play hockey, too. In the large picture it appears that Annette (left) is going to get
the puck in the face-off with Yvonne and in the other picture we have a spill with Marie (right)
crying. Annette (left) hasn't quite regained her equilibrium but Yvonne is all set to start again.-
World Copyright, 1936, NEA Service, Inc.

This is for all those that like to see picture of the Dionne quintuplets.

Here are few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



  More funnies for all my show biz friends. Enjoy.

Finally here is a random picture:

This is Doris. Not sure who's classmate she was.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope everyone has a very happy New Years Weekend. I'll do what I do every year. Go out like a light.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment