Friday, December 1, 2017

Gladys: July 29, 1931 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well, it's the end of yet another week and the beginning of December, the last month of the year. I think I might be almost ready for this year to end. But in the mean time, I'll try to make the most of this month. Good things only. I just kind of wish it would snow so it looks like December.
Anyway, here is a letter from Gladys:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

399 Fullerton pkway Chicago, Ill
Chicago Ill                  July 27-31
c/o Avery
Dear Howard:-
Well from my sisters
I hear everything is fine
with you and Tom. I
am fine also and have
such a wonderful case.
Am again with the nice
patient I had at the amb-
assador just before I came
home last year. I sure
wished I could have been
home with the girls.
but in these times we
must all think of work
before pleasure.
Howard I've tried
all over to get the
nice book you have
called Star Eye.

for my patient to read as
you maybe remember i
told you she is a great
archaeologist and hence
so interested in Indian
living- I was wondering
if you would send
the book for her to read
& I will take my good
care of it & return it
to you as soon as she
has read it. You know
I read it twice myself
and I never read any
thing I enjoyed more
I have never forgotten
that wonderful book
of yours.- My best
wishes to you & Tom
399 Fullerton pkway. as ever
Chicago, Ill                 Gladys
c/o Avery

I'm not sure right now when I showed you the last letter from her. It's kind of hard to read them because of all the loop-to-loop kind of writing.
As for the book she mentioned, "Star Eye". I was trying to find something that would tell me more about it. It is out there. And it looks like it has to do with Indians. But what the story is about I can't find. But it looks like it is a rare book that could be worth a lot of money if you have one. I do not. Maybe someday I will find out what the story is about that it was so good back then.  

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

Farmers near Wayne, N.J.' took to the hills as flood waters covered their land, but these three
got to thinking about the sad fate of a cow left behind and so came back in a rowboat for bossy.
The picture shows them leading her along behind the boat, headed for dry land.- Associated Press

I such hope they didn't have to go to far till they got to higher ground.
Notice how high the water looks in the background.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



Enjoy.


Finally a random picture:

Not sure if I have shown this one to you before. I think this might have been one of Grandpa's attempts of developing pictures back in the early twenties.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment