Friday, December 22, 2017

Gertrude Frank: March 9, 1932 Humbird, Wis.

Dear Friends,
It's the end of yet another week. Are you ready for Christmas? I'm ready as I can be. Not really feeling to much in the holiday spirit. I have a little bit of spirit but I know I should feel more jolly. I know it will be a good time anyway.
Anyway, here is a letter from a new person, Gertrude Frank:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Humbird Wis.
                   Mar. 8 1932
My Dear Friend
I received your most welcome
letter last night and was very
glad to hear from you. I liked the
pictures just fine. well how
do you like the weather I sure
don't like very well we are having
a snow blizzard here it's been
blowing just terrible for 4 days
straight wonder when it's going
to to be better weather.
I don't like see any one get drunk
But to drink a little once in
a while won't hurt any body.
Well that's to bad you can't play
a violin wish I could be there
I'd play it for you I can play

almost any kind of music I'd
like to be there and listen to
the Radio in the evening don't
they have some party's out
around there they do here
We had a party here a short
time ago and had a very nice
time do you dance do you like
shows I love all kinds of enjoying
always have a time good time
where ever I go maybe I'll
be coming down there to
keep house for you if you
need a housekeeper don't leave
me out now don't be mad
because I'm always joking
well now my dear Friend
I will have to make supper
so good by and write a

nice long letter
Your friend
Gertrude Frank
Humbird Wisconsin
R1. Box 85

It sounds like they have known each other for a while. I wonder it they wrote before and he didn't keep them. Humbird is really south of here. I always get a chuckle when someone says down there when they are actually south of him.
It sounds like she could play the violin. I wonder how good she was?
She doesn't sound like she is a fan of people who drink to much. I don't blame her. I don't either. An occasional drink is not a bad thing.
Did he write her a nice long letter back?

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

 More than 300 families have fled to higher ground in Missouri Valley, Iowa, following the over-
flow of the Boyer river. Here is a general view of the section of the town which is under water.
The Boyer empties into the Missouri river a few miles from Missouri Valley.-A.P. wirephoto.

I wonder how long this area was flood at that time. How much damage was there afterward?

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Enjoy.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:


No idea who this is or when it was taken. I get a feeling it might be from 1900 or earlier.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment