Friday, March 16, 2018

Gladys: Feb. 16, 1933 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was uneventful. The husband was home Monday thru Wednesday because for now his hours are different. He will be working Thursday thru Saturday. 12 hour shifts. So My weekends will be a little different. Sundays will be the only day both of us will be home at the same time, the whole day. I'm still hoping it will go back to normal very soon.
Anyway, here is a letter from Gladys:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                Chicago Ill
                Feb 15-33
Dear Howard:-
   Received the nice card
& thanks much. also your
newsy letter. I did not rea-
lize I had not written you
for such a long time
in fact I forgot it was
my turn and have
been walking around
here sort of waiting for
one from you until
Edw. told me a few
days ago. I don't know
how time can pass so
quickly but thats because
my days are busy ones
I have been on day duty
for 2 weeks now again
and realy when my 12
hours are up I'm dead
& go to bed only to get up.

& start all over again the
next morning early and
on my last 2 weeks of night
duty I slept 1/2 day each day and the
other half I did go visiting
I have some friends whom
I've not seen in almost 2
years. Not since I've been
on this case and I made
up my mind I'd start the
new year right and keep
my promises to visit them
So Monday I lunched with
2 of them & thru Tuesday I
stayed home & sewed & on
Wed. (you remember Astrid)
a whole bunch of us visited
a friend of ours who is married
We had such a nice P.M.
Then Friday I spent with
my Aunt Hildegard & the
week before that I did
go to Aunt Selma's one
day & so it goes. Now
Monday I start night
duty again and guess

I'll go to a couple of good
plays (if I can get Matinee
tickets) that are running
here now and then
I must shoppe. Which
I have not done since
before Xmas. Uniforms
& new white shoes etc.
you know how it is
or maybe you don't.
Well any way that is the
way my time goes. I
had dinner with
Gladys Holm a week
ago. Sunday such a
nice time as other
Chicago relives came
over and Clifford also.
Talk to G over phone
today. She said to greet
you & Tom when I'd write
Say I'm dreadfully excit-
ed about your play. When
do you intend to produce
it? Say I'd like to see it

I think its a great Idea
you boys getting together
& give some amusement
when there is nothing
else to do. Maybe it
will be such a hit you'll
all land in Hollywood
before you know it.
Whoever said I sent
you a Valentine Eh?
Thanks for the clipping
I am glad for them both
do tell me if you hear
more & write me
soon & give me all
the news.
       Greetings to Tom
        as ever Gladys

A lot talk about her working hours. I do wonder how long she worked for this person.
At least she had been able to go visiting.
I wonder what shows, if any , she was able to see.
I do wonder what kind of play Grandpa was involved with. At least now I know acting does run in the family. Or I should say, Now I know where I get it from.

Here is a clipping form the scrap book:

Somethings never change.

Now a joke from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:

It kind of goes with the one from the scrap book. What do you think?

Finally, a random picture:

Developed June 1964
Not sure who they are. I'm sure someone will me who they are, eventually.

Well that's all I have to share with you today. Enjoy your weekend.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment