Friday, August 7, 2015

Mary Kauer: April 27, 1926 Rib lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a nice week. Mine was very quiet and sure went by very fast. No more dramas for me with animals anyway.
Here is the next letter from Mary:



As always for those of you that find it hard to read here is what is says:

                 Rib Lake Wis
                 April 27, 1926
Dear Howard:-
    I'm sposed to be
playing cards now but the
baby started to cry and
Mrs. Hipke is trying to get her
to sleep again so I'm writing
while we wait for her.
  Thanks an awful lot
for the candy. Of course its
 good, it couldn't be otherwise
seeing it came from a Swede.
here's a hug and a kiss for it.
  Say, you needn't get so
stuck up cause you're an
uncle now. I s'pose you
won't look at me now anymore.

But I don't care, maybe I'll
be an aunt someday then.
I'll be so stuck up that I won't
be able to look down. And
you wanted to know if
Germans ever weighed as
much as 12 pounds. Well,
I'm German and look how
much I weigh. And the Swedes
are not much good anyway,
everybody says so.
  It's 10 o'clock now. Clara & I
just came back from the "Pal
restaurant where we had a lunch.
There was a fellow there that
was all shined up. I guess he
was a Swede, too. Because the
Germans are the most sober

people on Earth. You can tell
that by me. I'm so sober I don't
even drink milk.
  Say, what do those letters
mean that you had at the
end of your letter? I couldn't
make them out at all.
  Well good nite M. Kauer
Wed. afternoon..
  Hello Howard:-
I got your other letter
this morning and certainly
was surprised to get it as
I didn't expect any more
letters this week. But that's
the kind of surprises I like
       Goodbye
P.S. You can come whenever you get thru.

 I wonder with all the mention of German's and Swedes that she makes, if a lot of people talked like that back then. Always saying there is a difference.I get I kick out of her saying that Germans are the most sober people and that Swedes are not. I wonder if that was her way of keeping a wedge between them. Using  the nationality issue front and center whenever possible.
I wonder what kind of candy he sent her. I think he spent a lot of money sending girls candy and stationary whenever he could.

Now here are a few random pictures for you to look at.:

This is a picture of Grandpa and Mary at Copper Falls in 1926.

On the back it says, Ma, Selma, ? , Alfred & Lois.

In this one, Clement standing
                  Kenneth sitting by door,
                   Leo sitting

Well that's about all I have for you today, except one little bit of info for you about this blog.
I know I should have done this before I started doing this but I decided to count the remaining letters last night to see how many there were left and about how long it will take me to show them all to you.
I counted 324 letters to go. It will take me about 162 weeks to get it done or 3.1 years till the possible end.
So I hope you hang around or at least come back from time to time to see how far I am or if any new people have showed up.
I do hope you come back often.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment