Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Mary Kauer: May 17, 1926 Rib lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
I hope you stayed cool over the weekend. it was a little to hot for me. When I spend more time in an air conditioned building then outside you know it's too hot.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary. It's a long one. six pages. Ready. Here it is.






 For those how find it hard to read, here is what it says:

              Rib Lake, Wis
              May 17, 1926
Hello Howard:-
  Did you get over your
heartache already that
you got when you heard
Anna R. was married?
  Gee, Rose certainly was
surprised when I told her
about it. And then she
happened to say something
about Isabel Walgreen and
I told her that she was
married, too, and she said
"Well, gee, what's going to
happen next?"
  I guess maybe Rose will
be next because Shorty is

I tried to wrestle with
Roses brother yesterday and
he hit my arm so hard
that it hurt today yet.
It's awful to have such
relatives isn't it? But it
keeps me in practice. And
that's worth a whole lot.
  You should have seen
me how I was dolled
up last nite in a shirt
and overalls. Gee, I felt
so at home. Then Margret
and I got the cows so Pete
had his Sunday off
  I can't think of any more
news just now maybe I'll
know some more by the

time you come.
       Good luck from
                M.K.
          "Sutehee"
Tuesday afternoon
  I wrote this letter last
nite and then I couldn't
mail it because I only had
a 1 cent stamp. I got your
letter this morning and I
certainly was surprised to
get it because you said
you wouldn't write before I
did. But you're a pretty
good fellow anyway.
  Joseph left Saturday
morning. He & Tony Fuchs
went to Madison to work.

then quite regular.
  I'm glad I went home
yesterday. Anton was home
in the afternoon from Merrill
Say you think you're big but
you're not so big as you think.
Another fellow that works
at that place came along
with Anton and he certainly
was tall and husky.
We were playing games
outside and Margret said
she didn't know how tall
he was till she had to
stand behind him once. She
said her head only went
to his shoulders. And
Margret is not very short

So now I think I'll have
to go home to drive the
car I can drive pretty straight
and there's always a ditch
to stop in.
  Say are you're lips still sore?
If Anna R. wasn't married
they might be lots worse
by this time, not? So you
see it's lucky for you that
she is. Did you know that
I'm going to get married, too?
Pete B. says so.
This is the last letter that
I can write to you because I
have no more paper and
I'm caving hard for that
million. I saved 25 cents

already. That's a pretty good
start, isn't it? Maybe I can
give you a couple of drinks
and then perhaps you'll come
down to a thousand.
  Well, so long. I've got
some mending to do yet
this afternoon so I had
better get busy.
             M. Kauer
P.S. You can't write your
name as fancy as that,
can you?


Long letter. Although it does seam like there are some things missing. The way some pages end and the next one starts. To me anyway there seams like there are missing pages. I could be wrong or I typed something  wrong.
It does sound like a number of people they knew were getting married. I wonder if they were long engagements or short ones that they seam to be surprised by them.
I wonder how long it took Mary to get the hang of driving.
She mentioned the guy that was taller then Grandpa. Grandpa was over 6 foot. I wonder how tall this guy was if Margret was tall. Just another part of history that has faded away never to be known again.

Well here are a few random pictures for you to look at.


Just another portrait of people who are not known any more.

 No idea who this is. But it looks like she played the violin.

This is a picture of I think Grandpa getting things ready so they could add the front addition to the house. The time stamp says it was taken or developed in Sept. 1957.

Well that's all I have for you today.
I hope you drop by again real soon for another letter and random pictures.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment