Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Mary Kauer: May 6, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis

Hello Friends,
I had a quiet weekend. No drama, for me. How about you? The weather was on the cloudy side with rain half the time.
Since there is nothing to say about the weekend here is the next letter from Mary:



For those who find it hard to read here is what it says:

   Thursday afternoon
                 Rib Lake Wis
                  May 6, 1926
Hello Howard:-
   Well, seeing it's such a
long time since I saw you
last I guess I'll have to
write. I'm going to take the
baby out for a ride when
she wakes up. So if she sleeps
a long time yet I'll be able
to write a long letter. Other-
wise not.
   Say,but I really ought
to save these two cents so
that I'll be able to pay that
million that you are going
to sue me for. Or maybe
I can keep you from that

by telling you, " Oh, wait till
next year." Then I wouldn't be
breaking any promise and
you'd probably get tired of
waiting and look for someone
else. Of course then you
couldn't sue me either. I'm
going to tell Ed that you
said you wouldn't have me even
if I proposed to you, then they'll
quit teasing you.
  How did you get home and
how do you feel today? Gee,
I felt sick when I got up this
morning. I got over that tho
when I started to work but I
feel pretty sleepy now. Did
your mother give you heck?

Tell her it's the last time that
you will stay so long because
from now on you've got to go
home at 11 o'clock. Walter
Johnson said that nine o'clock
was time for kids to go to
bed but if you're good you
may stay up till 11.
  I didn't write to Alex yet
but do you think I ought to?
Don't get sore, because gee, it's
fun to tease you Howard.
Say I just fell asleep for a
few minutes. I don't think
I can write anymore now
as I can hardly keep my
eyes open.
    goodbye till Sat
                  M. Kauer

This letter sounds like Grandpa keeps trying to get her to agree to marry him but she is holding out because of what her family believed. You know, Germans staying with Germans and Catholics only marrying Catholics. That kind of thing. But believe me Grandpa did not live life by that rule.

Well here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

No idea who this was or when it was taken. But it was taken in Ashland, Wis.

I wonder who these guys were and when it was taken.

 No clue who this is.
This is what is on the back. I'm not sure if this kind of picture would have been considered a calling card for a young man in the 1890's. Just another thing that has all but faded from history.

Well that's about all I have for you today. I hope you will drop by again soon for another look at fading history before it's gone forever.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment