Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Mary Kauer: June 3, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was on the wet and chilly side. The good news is the fire pit area we were working on is done for now. I can't wait till the weather is no longer raining so we can hang out around the fire and just relax.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary.



For those of you who find this hard to read here is what it says:

               Rib Lake, Wis
Thursday afternoon June, 1926
Hello Howard:-
    Well, I s'pose you
got my other letter by
this time. I got yours yest-
erday morning and cer-
tainly was glad to get it.
  Say what do you s'pose
happened. I'm back at
Bogumille again. Pete
got lonesome for me
so I had to come back.
I'm going home next week
or sometime to help
clean house and after
the 4th I'll go and help
Margaret with picking

berries. So you can come
Sat. if you want to and
if you won't stay too
late. I've been to show
Tuesday and Wed. nite.
Tuesday I went with Walter
Schneider and afterwards
I was so darn mad at
him that I wished I had
stayed home. And who
should be sitting near
me but Ed & Otto. I s'pose
they think I'm a dandy
to go with somebody else
the minute you're not
around.
  And say you should
have seen the cute prize

I got in a package of
Candy. I didn't unfold it
at all but put it into
my pocket till I got home.
 Their shows are all
pretty good but it's so darn
cold in the tent and the
ground is wet so that a
person almost freezes stiff.
Well, I've got a bunch of
stockings to darn yet so
I guess I'll quit with good
luck & best wishes.
                         M. Kauer

Well it sounds like she is going to a lot of tent revival shows. I wonder how often they were done around Rib lake?
I wonder if she kind of half considered her and Grandpa a couple. It sounds like a lot of other people thought they were. But the draw of sticking with tradition was just to strong for her when it comes right down to it.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.


This is Grandpa and one of his friends. No idea what year it was taken.

This is Marianne Lee Blair. Age 13. Someones classmate I think

This is Grandma and Aunt Frances. Right now I don't think I know who Aunt Frances was

Well that's about all I have to share with you today. I hope you can come back soon some more fading history.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment