Friday, September 18, 2015

Mary Kauer: July 12, 1926 Rib lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope your week was good. Mine was quiet. But it does look like I will not be seeing any more wild life in the field next to me. Why you ask? The person who use to live in the trailer house across the field from me has returned. She has three big dogs which means the deer will not be coming around close to the house any more.So no more live outdoor channel for us.
Well enough of that. Here is the next letter from Mary. The post mark on the envelope was actually Tomahawk.



For those who find it hard to read here is what it says:

                  Rib Lake, Wis
                  Sat. forenoon
Dear Howard:-
   I s'pose you are
swearing blue streaks
at me and I can't blame
you if you would. Here it's
Sat. already and I haven't
written yet. I got both of
your letters. I got one
about an hour ago. Pa
is going to town this
afternoon so he can take
this along and mail it.
I don't s'pose you'll get it
before Monday.
Margret &I have been
awfully busy this week

First we had to wash and
since then we've been
sewing and cleaning up.
I haven't even been over to
Kauer's this week.
 Joseph left Thursday morn.
They went to Stevens Point
this time. There are a couple
of fellows there from
Rib Lake.
We have some hay
cut already but didn't get
any in yet. It rained on
it when it was nearly dry.
  Well, I can't write any
more now but if you
come Wed. I tell you all
the news. That show

that was in Rib Lake last
summer is here this week.
Starting the 12th. I guess
there are more shows around
this tear than ever before.
             Love from Mary

I wonder how often Grandpa wrote to Mary? I wish I could have read what kind of letters he wrote. He must have been very persistent in his pursuit of trying to find a connection with that special someone.
  It just looks like a normal kind of letter.
I wonder what Joseph did when he went to Stevens Point.
Location of Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Stevens Point at that time had a lot to do with the logging business. In the 1920 the population was around 12,000. Today it's population is over 26,000. More then doubling the population in about 90 years or so.


It sounds like weather at that time was similar to now. Cutting hay and it getting rained on before it can be baled.


Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

This is a picture of Mary at Copper Falls. No idea what year it was taken.

I thought this one was just a logging picture but it looks like a hunting one. Notice the gun someone is holding.


Since she mentioned making hay, here is hay on a wagon. No idea who the two people are in this one. The second one is standing next to the wagon.

Well that's about all I have for you today.
Enjoy your weekend. Mine will be shorter. I have to work tomorrow. Yuck.
Oh well, till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment