Friday, September 4, 2015

Mary Kauer: June 23, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
The holiday weekend is upon us, finally. It's been one of those mixed kind of weather weeks. I just hope the weekend will be tolerable.
Well, here is the next letter from Mary:




For those that have a hard time reading it, here is what it says:

                Rib Lake Wis
                June, 21, 1926
Hello Howard:-
   Well, I didn't intend
to write today but its so
rainy that I can't do any
other work. We got back
from Medford at 5.30 as
the train was an hour & a
half late.
  Say ma laughed at me
because I didn't take you
to church last nite. She said
that was a heck of a way
to do, to make you sit out-
side. So you've got to go with
me some time.
  I've got to go down now

and see if the head is burning
so I'll write some more after
supper.
  Well, this is Tuesday afternoon
already. I intended to finish
this letter yesterday so I could
mail it this morning but I
went over to Kauer's in the
evening and stayed till almost
12. Marie Lamberty & Lydia Schacht
just came home last week and
they were over there so of course
I had to go too.
We wanted to go swimming
this noon but it rained so and
got so cold that we gave up
that idea.
  Margaret just made some

cookies and they are awfully
goo. I wish I could send you
some so you could see what a
good cook she is.
 I washed & ironed today but
a few of the clothes are still
hanging out in the rain. I
guess I'll go and stand out in
the rain all nite. That will be
just as good as a steam
bath. Maybe by the 4th I'll
be so clean that you won't
know me.
  How did you get home
Sunday eve? I hope you didn't
go in the ditch anywheres.
  How is your mother? I
hope she isn't any worse.

Grandma is sick today. I
guess the weather is a
little too cold for her. It's
almost too cold for me.
  Well. I guess this is a
pretty fair sized letter so
I had better quit.
                Love from M.K.
P.S. Excuse the envelopes
        I couldn't find any
        others.

Just an average kind of letter talking about normal things that were going on at the time.
I wonder if she made Grandpa sit outside of the church or if it was his idea. At least that's what it sound like to me happened.
I wonder where Marie and Lydia were that they came home. Just more history that has already faded away.
It does not sound like the weather was any good for older people at that time.

Well here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

No idea who this could be or when it was taken.

Another unknown portrait.

This one was I think an entry at the Price County fair at one time and it won Best Exhibit of Photography. I wonder if Grandpa had entered it or if someone else did. I should be able to find out maybe this weekend when I hang out with the family for the end of the year get together at the family cabin.

Well that's all I have for you today.
I hope you have a very enjoyable Labor Day Weekend.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment